Postal & Print Services

Should I send cash or gift Cards through the mail?


Don’t do it.

Special note about sending cash, gift cards, or important ID documents through the mail

As tempting as it is for parents and grandparents to send money to their college student, MICA Postal & Print Services does not recommend sending cash or gift cards through the mail. In the past, letters with cash or gift cards have not always reached their destination.

If you must send money, please send a prepaid credit card taped to the inside of a rigid envelope and be sure to put a tracking number on it (Registered Mail or Certified, Return Receipt). Keep the receipt and card information until your student receives the gift card.

Greeting Cards that may look like gift cards, such as a student's social security card or driver's license, may also go missing in the US mail. Please report any missing mail to

If it's important, pay to have it tracked by sending it FedEx or UPS or with a tracking number with USPS Certified, Priority or Express mail. We scan all barcodes and can show a custody chain when received and delivered.

Alternatives to sending cash or gift cards through the mail:

  • Deposit money on your student's MICARD Flex Account
  • We recommend calling MICA Student Account Services for a more secure transaction to deposit money in your student's Flex Account : 410-225-2356 to make a credit card payment over the phone.
  • Purchase an online gift card
  • Purchase credit at Apple or Amazon then email or text your student the redemption code.
  • Make a surprise visit to your student
  • Just drop by unannounced and hand over the cash or gift cards in person. They'd love to see you. Anytime.