First Year Experience Mission Statement
MICA’s First Year Experience (FYE) is designed to provide a foundation-level exploratory art and design curriculum. It supports the diversity of our community, the discovery of various learning pathways, and student curiosity. Individual voices are honored while building community through a comprehensive learning experience that propels the intellect and imagination, research and critical thinking, making and fabrication, collaboration and critique. In addition, students are encouraged to explore one’s roles and responsibilities as artists and designers in society. As a guided pathway, the program’s robust and dynamic instruction strengthens foundation-level art and design skills to help students prepare for upper-level study within the Undergraduate Studies (UGS) programs.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
By the conclusion of the First Year Experience (FYE), students will:
- Demonstrate foundation-level practical and conceptual skills, including personal artistic viewpoint and self-reflective inquiry in art and design processes.
- Demonstrate foundation-level digital literacy and interdisciplinary skills to prepare for upper-level UGS programs.
- Apply visual art and design communication skills with ideation, problem-solving, experimentation, and iterative processes.
- Understand foundational-level professionalism, social and environmental responsibility, and ethical research while creating art and design work.
- Engage in intercultural, community, and collaborative projects as the foundation of integrative and engaged learning.