Academic Resources for Veterans

Getting Started/MICA's Certifying Process

Students who have served in the military, are dependents of a disabled or deceased veteran, or are currently on active duty, may qualify to use educational benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

All students receiving veterans' benefits at MICA must be admitted to the College. If you have not already done so, please start by applying to the College or contact the Undergraduate Admissions or the Graduate Admissions Office if you have questions regarding the admissions process.   You must be approved by the Veteran's Administration in order to receive Veterans' Educational Benefits.

Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility requirements for veterans, eligible spouses or dependents, as well as information on how to apply, programs covered, and payment rate information for education benefit options listed below is available on the Department of Veterans Affairs website at You can also call the toll-free number 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor, who can assist you if you are not sure of your eligibility or which education benefit is best for you.

Education Benefit Options

Getting Started

To activate benefits, you must submit a VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits) to the VA. You can submit the application online at; click "Apply for Benefits" or you can contact the VA at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) and request the form. Students who are dependents of a disabled or deceased veteran should request a VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits).

After you have applied and submitted your application to the VA to activate benefits, print or request a paper copy of the form and forward it to MICA's VA Certifying Official. The VA will send you a copy of a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) after they process your application, but this can take a couple of months to receive and a copy of the application can get us started. The COE is the notification that your benefits have been approved. It also outlines the percentage of the benefit for which you are eligible and the timeline in which your benefit can be used. In order to be certified initially by MICA for VA Educational Benefits, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and the MICA Veterans Request for VA Certification Form. This is your official request for us to process your benefits. For each semester you would like to be certified thereafter, you must submit an updated copy of your COE and the MICA Veterans Request for Certification Form. Students will not automatically be certified from one semester to the next.

MICA's VA Certifying Official will electronically submit your enrollment certification (VA Form 22-1999) to the VA after you have registered for courses and submitted all required documents including, if it applies to you, a MICA Yellow Ribbon Application. MICA's Certifying Official will notify you through your MICA email address once your enrollment for the upcoming semester has been certified through the VA. Please allow up to 90 days for the VA payment to be applied to your MICA account. To ensure a smooth process and to avoid any interruptions in registering for and/or attending classes, MICA's Student Accounts Office will flag your account as anticipated funds. As a result, you will be granted an extend grace period beyond the normal tuition payment deadline. Those students who receive education benefit payment directly from the VA will be required to settle their tuition account with MICA's Student Accounts Office by the first day of class.


‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government website at