MICA is one of the first design schools selected for the Clinton Global Initiative University; has been featured in Design Ignites Change, Design Observer, FastCompany, GOOD, Graphic Design USA, HOW Magazine, Metropolis, and Print; has received grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, National Science Foundation and Sappi Ideas That Matter; and has received awards from Design Ignites Change, Core77, Biomimicry Global Design Challenge, and Ashoka U—Cordes Innovation Award recognizing our innovative work addressing complex social problems through design.
Awards & Recognition
- 2019 GDUSA Health+Wellness Design Award
- 2018 Core77 Design Award (Strategy & Research)
- 2018 GDUSA Health+Wellness Design Award
- 2017 Biomimicry Global Design Challenge Winner
- 2016 Core 77 Design Award
- 2016 Biomimicry Global Design Challenge Winner
- 2015 Core 77 Design Award
- 2014 National Endowment for the Arts, Art Works Grant Recipient
- 2014 Ashoka U Cordes Innovation Award Winner
- 2013 First/only design school selected for Clinton Global Initiative University CGI U)
- 2013 Sappi Ideas That Matter Grant Winner
- 2013 Print Regional Design Annual
- 2012 Core 77 Design Award
- 2011 National Science Foundation Cyberinfrastructure Grant
- 2011 National Endowment for the Arts, Access to Artistic Excellence Grant
- 2011 Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award Nominee, Design Mind Category
- “Identifying Solutions to Improve the Sexually Transmitted Infections Testing Experience for Youth Through Participatory Ideation.” AIDS Patient Care and STDs, Volume 32, Issue 8, 2018.
- “Social Design as a User-Centered Approach to Innovative Intervention Development: Lessons from HEARS.” Innovation in Aging, Volume 1, Issue 1, 1 July 2017.
- “¡Vive!: Designing an intervention to improve timely HIV diagnosis among Latino immigrant men.” Progress in Community Health Partnerships PCHP 2016;10(3): 365-372.
- LEAP 2: Value of Design Symposium, Impact Design Hub
- LEAP Dialogues: Career Pathways in Design for Social Innovation, Designmatters
- Insight from Academia: The Evolving Profession of a Social Impact Designer, Design
- Educating the Next Generation of Social Impact Designers, National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)
- Mike Weikert: Designing Social Change, shareable.net
- A Mobile Farmers Market, Created By Design Students, Fast Company