Engaging in the arts, whether through required courses or extracurricular activities, is valuable in developing essential skills that professionals need, like critical thinking and observational and communication skills, as well as bias awareness and empathy.
MICA offers Community Education courses and workshops in pastel painting, figure drawing, oil painting, open studio model sessions, and seminars on art collecting.
A preview of our Winter & Spring 2020 Community Education courses include:
- Glass Blowing Students will learn the ancient art of glass blowing & will create a small collection of pieces during the course. Held at Corradetti Studios. Studio will provide all materials and tools. Mon. - Fri., Jan. 6 - 17 / 9:00a - 5:00p
- Intro to Black & White Photography Want to know what to do with that family camera? This 10-week course introduces the fundamentals of darkroom photographic practice. Saturdays, starting Feb. 1 / 9:30a - 1p
- Beyond the Print: Experimental Digital Printing Photographs don’t need to only be on paper! This course will explore digital printing techniques and processes beyond the normal print. Students will learn the technical side of digital printing and color profile creation. Wednesdays, starting Jan. 29 / 6:15p - 10p
Photography Two-Day Workshops
- Casebound Books & Marbled Paper This two-day workshop is a hands-on learning experience combining photography with handmade artist book structures. Over the course of the two sessions, students will learn how to print photographs & text to make your own basic “photo book.” Saturdays: Jan. 11 & 18 / 11a - 4p
- Pinhole Photography This two-day workshop will explore the possibilities for building handmade pinhole cameras from ordinary household materials. Saturdays: Feb. 22 & Feb 29 / 11a - 4p
- Reinterpreting Drawing: Experimental PracticesThrough in class exercises and independent projects, students will explore different ways of thinking and interpreting drawing beyond the 2-D plane through experimentation with different materials, movement, space, and more. Wednesdays: Starting Jan. 29 / 6:30p - 9:45p
- Learning to Draw In this foundation course, beginning students develop their ability to perceive and render forms in space on a two-dimensional surface. Mondays: Starting Jan. 27 / 6:30p - 9:45p