No matter the discipline - design, fine arts, liberal arts or art education - MICA boasts a faculty that rivals the best colleges in the country. The following is a breakdown of what we have to offer.
- The school has 291 professional artists, designers, art historians, poets, and writers hailing from Yale, Harvard, UCLA, Cooper Union, and other prestigious universities.
- We feature 175+ visiting artists, critics, designers, poets , writers, and art historians from across the United States and around the world each year.
- Our faculty lecture and are visiting artists in Japan, Russia, China, Ecuador, the Netherlands, Poland, Czech Republic, Scotland, Jamaica, Italy, England and Guatemala.
- MICA's student-faculty ratio is 8/1.
- Faculty are represented in 250+ public and private collections, from MOMA to Stedelijk.
- Faculty exhibit in regional, national, and international museums and galleries -from Leo Castelli in NYC to Galleria Tucci-Russo in Italy.
- Our faculty includes winners of every national prize offered to artists, from the Fulbright, Louis Comfort Tiffany, and Prix de Rome to the Anonymous Was A Woman Award and Joan Mitchell Grant. They also regularly receive National Endowment for the Arts, Guggenheim, and other corporate and foundation funding for their projects.
Our design faculty are professionals with active practices and worldwide portfolios of clients that inform their teaching and open doors for their students; they regularly publish and present their research in such fields as design education, cultural impact of design, and public health communication design. They have been honored with the top awards in their fields, including AIGA's Gold Medal, the highest award in graphic design.
FINE ARTS FACULTY
The college's fine arts faculty are represented in more than 250 public and private collections from the New York Museum of Modern Art to Amsterdam's Stedelijk Museum of Modern Art; they have won virtually every prestigious grant and award for artists, exhibit internationally and are regularly reviewed in national publications, and screen their work at international film and video festivals.
LIBERAL ARTS FACULTY
MICA's liberal arts faculty publish poetry, novels, critical scholarship on film, popular culture, ancient art, contemporary art in such publications as New Art Examiner and Art and Academe, and on their archaeological fieldwork and research in a wide array of fields. They hold advanced degrees from Harvard, Princeton, Oxford, and the University of Chicago, as well as other world-renowned institutions. The breadth and depth of expertise of MICA's art history faculty is unparalleled even by top research universities. MICA's long commitment to providing top-quality liberal arts offerings for its undergraduate and graduate students has included a commitment to building an outstanding faculty.
ART EDUCATION FACULTY
- Our art education faculty are among the top art educators in the nation and have made MICA's an important influence on art education nationally, shaping best practices in the field. The Center's faculty have collectively received every national honor in the field and regularly publish in peer reviewed journals and present at regional and national conferences. They have held leadership positions in school districts around the U.S., as well.