Current and Returning International Students

Transferring as an F-1 Student

Transfer In to MICA

At MICA, we know that no two transfers are alike. We treat each transfer student as an individual. We welcome transfer students from all backgrounds and know that there are many reasons to plan a transfer. You might be enrolled in community college, working towards an associates degree and preparing to transfer to a four-year college. Maybe your current college isn’t the right fit.  Or you could be returning to college after a break in schooling or because you’re changing career paths.

If you are an international student on a F-1 visa transferring from a U.S. college/university, your SEVIS record will be transferred to MICA.

If you are a student transferring from a college/university outside of the U.S., a SEVIS record will be created for you to use to apply for your F-1 visa.

Find more information at:


Transfer Out of MICA

Before you begin the process of transferring out, you need to talk to your Academic Advisor about how your credits will transfer to your new institution.

To transfer your SEVIS record, the Office of International Education needs to see an acceptance letter from your new institution. If your new college/university needs our office to fill out any paperwork, please email with any links or PDF documents our office needs to fill out.

Note: Consider your travel plans when you are transferring your SEVIS record! Once our office transfers your SEVIS record, you will not be able to travel with your I-20 from MICA. You will need to obtain a new I-20 from your new institution before you can travel outside of the U.S.


After Graduation

Your SEVIS record can be transferred to a new school or program at MICA, allowing you to avoid paying the SEVIS fee again. You need to contact the Office of International Education no more than 60 days after your Program End Date on your I-20 to have your record transferred. You need to provide an acceptance letter to your new school or program before we can transfer your record.