Benefits of Service for 2021-22
- Living Allowance: A living allowance of $15,000 for the year (Paid in bi-weekly amounts from MICA. This will be about $575 gross pay (before taxes) every 2 weeks. The living allowance is subject to income tax.)
- Healthcare: Free health coverage (through a special AmeriCorps healthcare plan with Cigna Healthcare). This includes medical, dental and vision.
- Childcare Benefits: Partial reimbursement for childcare costs - check out this link for more.
- Education Award: A federal Education Award of $6,345 for full-time members upon successful completion of your service, which can be used to pay eligible student loans or other eligible educational expenses. (For more info, please see this website about the Segal Education Award)
- Loan Forbearance: Deferment of eligible student loans while you are in service, and repayment of the interest that accrues while they are in deferment. (More info on the AmeriCorps website here.)
- Professional Development: Ongoing professional training in curriculum development, classroom management, grant writing, community organizing, and much more!
- Resources: Access to tons of valuable resources at MICA, including downloading free software (Adobe Creative Suite & Microsoft Office), access to resources at the MICA Decker Library, and access to rental technology equipment at the MICA Tech Center (rental cameras, video cameras, projectors, lighting kits, etc).
- Access to the citywide and national AmeriCorps network for future opportunities and general networking.
- Being part of a cohort team of community arts colleagues that you can collaborate with and learn from.
- The option of staying on for a second year of the program, to further develop projects and relationships at your CAC Host Site.
AmeriCorps service is a year-long commitment. In order to serve, you must be at least 17 years old, possess a high school diploma or equivalent, and be a US citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident. Participation in CAC is conditional upon completion of a National Service Criminal History Check. Learn more about AmeriCorps on this page of our website.