Round 1 Application Deadline: January 17
Round 2 Application Deadline: March 20
Potential applicants considering the Community Arts (MFA) may also consider Teaching (MAT), which prepares students for careers as art educators on the primary and secondary school level.
Application Requirements & Procedures for the M.F.A. in Community Arts
1. Graduate Admission Application Form: completed and submitted online via mica.slideroom.com
2. Curriculum Vitae/Resume
3. Community Arts M.F.A. Essay
All applicants are required to submit an essay that explains why you are interested in entering the field of community arts:
- Describe the experience and preparation you have which leads you to conclude that this is the field you would like to enter.
- Detail your preparation and development as an artist.
- Analyze/explain ways in which your preparation as an artist informs and influences your interest in community-based work.
4. Three (3) Letters of Reference
Recommendations are submitted online via mica.slideroom.com.
5. Proof of Degree or Equivalent
Digital transcripts from the last degree-granting institution can be uploaded to SlideRoom. Official transcripts are not required for the initial review process, however, the Graduate Review Committee may request additional or official documentation before decision notification.
6. Community Arts M.F.A. Portfolio Requirement
Two portfolios are required from applicants to the Community Arts (MFA).
- A. Visual Art Portfolio - A portfolio of 10-20 digital images offering an overview of your work as a visual artist.
- B. Community Art Portfolio - A portfolio of 10-20 digital images documenting your educational, professional, or volunteer experiences in community development, youth development, teaching or related subject areas. For each image uploaded, please use the note field to describe each project or event and the art-related or other problems the participants addressed in the work represented. If these images are not available, other materials may be accepted in lieu of the second portfolio.
Applicants to the Community Arts (MFA): please label each uploaded piece as either Personal or Community artwork in the "Notes" field during upload.
Applicants should submit their portfolio materials for review with their application via mica.slideroom.com. Specific technical guidelines addressing the submission of digital images, video files, sound files and text files are available in the SlideRoom system.
7. $75 Application Fee
Payable via credit card during the application submission stage online.
8. Additional Requirements for International Applicants
International candidates whose primary language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in both written and spoken English. Additionally, certified translations of all letters of reference, transcripts and school documentation must be provided. For additional information on international applicant requirements, please visit Information for International Graduate Applicants.