Undergraduate Admission

Transfer Admission

We recognize that each transfer student has a unique story and brings a wealth of talent and experience to MICA's creative community.

If you have graduated from high school (or earned your GED) and earned at least 12 or up to 60 credits in post-high school college courses at a regionally accredited two-year community college or four-year college or university, you'll apply to MICA as a transfer student.

We are committed to helping you make a smooth transition as you complete your Bachelor of Fine Arts degree at MICA. You can contact us at admissions@mica.edu. We look forward to working with you!

  Spring  2024 - Regular Decision 
NOV 1, 2023  Application and FAFSA deadline 
    Fall 2023 - Regular Decision 
APR 15, 2023 Application deadline 


It's a good idea to get familiar with the Common App first, before you start your application. Check out this step-by-step guide

which gives you an overview of the Common App for Transfer.

Go to Common App and click on the Apply for Transfer button. You can apply for one program –fall or spring–per academic year. The Application fee is $60. 

Note: if you need a fee waiver, please follow the instructions for requesting a fee waiver in the Personal Information section on
Common App.

In the Common App Academic History section, request official transcripts for the last three full years of academic work you have completed. Include your college transcript/s and if needed, your secondary school transcript. Official Transcripts must be requested through the Common Application, or requested directly from your current college through Parchment to records@mica.edu

Upload your Course Catalog Descriptions document in the Common App Program Materials section. To create your Course Catalog Descriptions: create a Word document or PDF and for each course you are seeking credit for include: course number, course name, number of credits and hyperlink for its online description in your college's online course catalog.
FF161 Drawing: Tradition & Innovation 3 credits
AH100 Art Matters 3 credits
HMST101 Frameworks 3 credits

– Complete all sections of the CommonApp for Transfer.

– Upload and/ or request all required documents.

– Pay the application fee ($60)

Note: if you need an application fee waiver, please follow the instructions for requesting a fee waiver in the Personal Information section on Common App.

– Click the Submit button in Common App to send your application to MICA. 

– In SlideRoom (micaundergrad.slideroom.com) pay your portfolio submission fee ($15) and submit your portfolio.

Note: Your application is not complete until you submit your application and portfolio and your transcripts are received. To confirm that your application is complete for review email our Records Coordinator at records@mica.edu

Your portfolio counts as one half of your admission decision and should demonstrate your technical skill and personal voice/direction. Prepare a selection of 15-30 digital images of college-level artwork completed within the last two years.  Learn more about putting together a strong portfolio for your MICA application!

Follow the instructions provided in the Common Application to upload your portfolio submission to the MICA Undergraduate SlideRoom Portal. The Portfolio Submission fee is $15, separate from the $60 Common Application Fee. 

For more information about SlideRoom's Media File Requirements and the process of uploading portfolio images to your SlideRoom account, click here. Contact SlideRoom if you experience technical issues uploading your images or submitting your portfolio.  Once submitted, the portfolio cannot be changed. 

Note: You may submit your application prior to submitting your portfolio, but your application will not be considered complete and ready for review until you have submitted your portfolio. To confirm that your portfolio has been received, and your application is ready for review, email our Records Coordinator at records@mica.edu

If your high school and college transcripts are not in English, they must be translated into English by an approved translator. Using World Education Services (WES) is recommended, but not required.

In addition to the general application requirements, all applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in both written and spoken English. 

MICA does not require SAT or ACT scores for transfer applicants.

If English is not your first language you must submit a valid TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or Duolingo score with your application. MICA requires a minimum TOEFL score of 75 (MyBest scores are accepted), an IELTS score of 6.0, a PTE score of 58, or a Duolingo score of 105. MICA’s institution code is 5399 for TOEFL and IELTS.

MICA may waive the required TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or Duolingo scores if you have official transcripts that demonstrate at least two full years of academic success at a high school or college/university in which English is the language of instruction. Writing samples such as college essays and recommendation letters from college English instructors are encouraged to support your record of English proficiency.

MICA may waive the required TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or Duolingo scores if you receive a minimum SAT score of 470 or ACT score of 18 in the English section. MICA's institution code for SAT is 5399. Our ACT code is 1710.

Letters of Recommendation (Optional)
A letter of recommendation from a college English instructor is recommended for students whose second language is English. You can request a letter of recommendation through the Supporting Information section in CommonApp for Transfer, or you can ask your recommender to email their letters directly to records@mica.edu.

Immigration and Visa Information
The forms available at the online links below may be submitted to transferquestions@mica.edu.

Indicate your current immigration status and your intentions regarding immigration by completing the Immigration Information Form. This is required before a Form I-20 can be issued. Please complete this form even if you do not plan to study under an F-1 student visa.

Submit an Affidavit of Support and/or Certificate of Finance as well as a notarized bank statement certifying that sufficient funds are available to support your study at the College. This is required before a Form I-20 can be issued.

F-1 Students who plan to attend MICA after attending another U.S. school should arrange to have their SEVIS record transferred to MICA prior to beginning classes at MICA. You and your current DSO should fill out, sign and submit the F-1 Transfer Form

MICA Resources for International Students
International Student Videos
International Student Services
Office of International Education