If Your Card is Lost or Stolen

Log into your MICA GET Account and mark your card as lost. This prevents your meals, dining dollars, and flex from being used.

Go to the Campus Safety Administrative office (1501 W Mount Royal Ave) to report your card as missing and to obtain a replacement. If you are unable to go to Campus Safety or if it's outside of their normal business hours, please call 410-225-2245. This prevents your card from being used to access MICA buildings.

Once you get a new card, your account will be assessed a $25.00 ID Replacement Fee.

To re-activate your meal plan, dining dollars, and flex, visit the Student Accounts office during regular business hours.