This officer position is responsible for advocating for the interests and needs of the student community at MICA.
Summary of Essential Functions
- The Student Voice Association (SVA) officers serve a 1 year commitment, beginning in late August and ending in early May.
- There are a total of 12 SVA Officers every year who are expected to work together as a cohesive advocacy council.
- The time commitment ranges from 3-6 hours per month.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Advocate for the general student body.
- Attend monthly SVA council meetings as well as monthly prep meetings (prior to council meeting).
- Regularly post online about upcoming issues, meeting minutes, and other relevant information.
- Participate in SVA retreats and trainings.
- Maintain open and regular communication with the staff advisor.
- Maintain a level of professionalism, including confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Adhere to MICA policies and serve as a role model for the MICA community.
Specific Officer Responsibilities
Undergraduate Student Council
I. SVA Undergraduate Student Body President
- a. Represent undergraduate student body at campus events.
- b. Maintain communication between the undergraduate officers, staff advisors, and the Vice President of Student Affairs.
- c. Work towards agreed-upon goals from the SVA Undergraduate Officers Retreat.
- d. Coordinate UG Town Hall Meetings, campus-wide forums, and ad-hoc meetings.
- e. Coordinate UG Cabinet meetings.
- f. Attend monthly Undergraduate Academic Affairs and Student Life Council meetings.
- g. Serve as the student representative on the Board of Trustees.
- h. Manage the SVA email account and respond to emails within a week.
- i. Develop campaigns to increase awareness of the role of SVA on campus and promote meeting attendance.
II. Marketing Director
- a. Create flyers for SVA meetings and events.
- b. Publicize SVA via social media (i.e. Instagram, Facebook).
- c. Design (and maintain) a “cheat sheet” about key MICA administrators that explains who to contact about what issues.
III. Vice President (UG Academic Affairs/ UG Student Life)
- a. Set the agenda for Council meetings following consultation with the SVA officers & advisor.
- b. Invite guests to Council meetings based on the agenda.
- c. Call meeting to order and conduct the business of the agenda.
- d. Manage food logistics for meetings.
IV. Membership Chair (UG Academic Affairs/ UG Student Life)
- a. Manage sign-in sheet and record attendance of representatives at each meeting in database.
- b. Maintain an accurate list of representatives for their council.
- c. Recruit new members/representatives.
- d. Reach out to existing members to follow up on their needs, issues, concerns, etc.
- e. Oversee committees and/or sub-committees that form within the council.
V. Secretary (UG Academic Affairs/ UG Student Life)
- a. Record the proceedings of SVA meetings and distribute the minutes of each meeting through the SVA website and Facebook group.
- b. Send email reminders to representatives about upcoming meetings.
- c. Print agendas and prepare presentations as needed.
Graduate Student Council
- I. Set the agenda for council meetings following consultation with the officers and advisor.
- II. Call meeting to order and conduct the business of the agenda.
- III. Create meeting minutes of SVA meetings, notify advisor once they are finalized, and distribute the minutes to graduate student community.
- IV. Send email reminders to representatives about upcoming meetings.
- V. Invite guests to council meetings for reports, as needed for information pertaining to SVA business.
- VI. Oversee any committees or sub-committees that form within the council.
- VII. Assist with meeting setup.
- VIII. Maintain an accurate list of representatives for their council.
- X. Record attendance of representatives at each meeting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skills: Leadership and organizing, time management, organization
- Ability (and desire) to work with other students.
Good disciplinary and academic standing, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25.
Conditions of Employment
Conditions: Background Check
SVA Officers are paid $300 per semester ($600 total for the academic year).
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.