Campus Operational Mode
What Does Modified Operational Mode 5 Look Like?
Below are some of the key elements of our expanded operational mode 5 for the fall.
MICA's Campus is open to MICA students, staff, faculty, and members of the public.
Residence halls are open for normal use at normal capacity levels. Masks are not required within an individual’s apartment, and are optional in common spaces.
Public Health Protocols
Indoor/outdoor masking is optional. MICA remains a mask supportive and mask-friendly environment. Anyone who wishes to wear a mask should feel comfortable doing so and will be fully supported by the College in their choice.
The Educational Experience
Teaching and learning will take place primarily in-person and on-campus utilizing the resources of the College. Indoor masking is optional in all indoor teaching spaces.
Individual visitors are allowed on campus for College activities without the need for prior approval.
Campus COVID Case Reporting
weekly new cases
9week of Sept. 19–Sept. 23
Total Cumulative Cases
327since August 27th 2021
Fall 2022 Key Dates
Up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations—which MICA defines as the original primary series vaccination + 1 booster—are required for all community members. This includes staff, faculty, and all students. Only exemptions for medical and religious beliefs are permitted.
Although any vaccine approved by a governmental agency, foreign or domestic will be accepted, international students are encouraged, but not required, to receive US-approved vaccines if available.
- Academic Affairs and Student Affairs are finalizing a new, first of its kind at MICA, Provisional Short Term Health Leave attendance policy, allowing for short term medical leaves and providing greater clarity to faculty and students
- Key health related offices - Accessibility & Disability Services, Fitness Center, Health Services, and Student Counseling - will remain mask required spaces/
- MICA will begin the semester with the weekly, asymptomatic testing program for unvaccinated individuals in place.
- Health Services will be able to refer immunocompromised students for appropriate treatments
- Student isolation will remain for 10 days, to provide additional certainty that students are not circulating in the community while contagious
- Dedicated quarantine + isolation housing for on-campus residents is being maintained
The policies, procedures, and protocols you'll follow in the event of a COVID-19 exposure depend on both the type of exposure and the type of MICA community member you are. The MICA COVID-19 Exposure Policies page provides a comprehensive guide to these various scenarios
Visit the individual resource areas below for up-to-date information, including policies, hours of operation, and schedules.
Shop, Studios, & Services
Full access to studios, workspaces, shops, and fabrication studios is available for all students enrolled in on-site classes. Some remote production services will continue to facilitate fabrication instruction.
Our planning work for the Fall Semester will continue throughout the summer and we will keep the MICA community informed regularly through Recap — the College’s official communication for AY2022 planning, progress, and emergent ideas — and through regular meetings with faculty, staff, and student leadership groups. You are encouraged to provide feedback here for inclusion in follow-up communications.