MICA recognizes the role that pets can play in the lives of students, staff, and faculty. In consideration for the general well-being, health, and safety of the public (this includes but is not limited to students, staff, faculty, campus visitors/guests, and members of the surrounding community), the below policy has been established regarding pet visits to campus.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office at EHS@mica.edu or call 410-462-7593. Please remember that bringing your pet to campus is a privilege and NOT a right: MICA reserves the right to deny anyone participation in this program if it is believed to be in the best interests of the College or the community at large. MICA reserves the right to request updated registration information at any time.
For information on Emotional Support Animals, please contact the Learning Resource Center at LRC@mica.edu or call 410-225-2416.
Should any violations of this policy be observed, please contact Campus Safety at 410-225-2245.
All pets must be registered with the Environmental Health and Safety Office before they are allowed to come to campus. By bringing your pet to campus, you are assuming all culpability releasing MICA of any liability.
- All pets must be leashed at all times, even when inside buildings. It is the responsibility of the owner to keep the animal under control at all times.
- Campus lawns and gardens are an extension of the classrooms and an important relaxation space for the MICA community. They are not to be used for walking pets or as pet waste areas. All owners are must pick-up their pet's waste.
- No exotic animals, insects, rodents, or reptiles (including but not limited to snakes, lizards, and ferrets) of any kind are allowed on campus unless pre-approved for a class project by an instructor and prior written approval from Environmental Health and Safety.
- Certain areas of the campus are designated as "Pet Free" zones, and all animals (except service animals) are prohibited. Current prohibited areas include:
- any room with a "No Pets" sign
- all food service areas, including Meyerhoff Dining Room, Java Corner, Café Doris, Café Nancy, Glacé Grill, and catered food areas.
- college-owned/college-managed housing
- computer and print labs
- Art/Tech Center
- All performance spaces; including Falvey Hall, A-Box, and B-Box.
- Decker Library
- all galleries
- all studio and shops
- All pet owners are responsible for making sure that their animals are up-to-date on required vaccinations. Failure to do so may result in being banned from bringing pets to campus.
- Once approved and granted an ID tag, that tag must be worn by the animal whenever it is on campus.
- If a fight occurs between animals, do not attempt to separate them. Call 311 to request a Baltimore City First Responder, and then notify Campus Safety immediately.
- Please note that the MICA's Pet Program is applicable only to members of the MICA community: No guests/visitors may bring animals on campus unless it is a service animal (such as a seeing-eye dog).
To Register a Pet
To register, please bring completed copies of the Registration, Liability Waiver, and Veterinarian Verification Form to the Firehouse with your pet. To make an appointment, please contact the EHS office at EHS@mica.edu or call 410-462-7593. You MUST bring your pet with you so they can be checked for temperament. After review and approval, a picture will be taken and an ID tag will be granted. Please note that, by registering your pet, you are agreeing to abide by MICA's pet policy.