Employment for F-1 Students

Social Security Numbers

You must have a job offer for authorized employment if you want to apply for a Social Security Number. U.S. government regulations require that F-1 students have a job offer in order to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).

It is simple to apply for your Social Security Number — as long as you are organized. Depending on whether you want to work On Campus or Off Campus through CPT or OPT, the documents to you need to apply for a SSN will differ. 

Visit the Social Security Administration Office, located at 1010 Park Ave, Suite 200, with the following documents:

  • Passport 

  • I-20 

  • I-94 

  • Proof of employment (You should have one of the following):

    • On Campus Jobs: F-1 Student Job Verification Form signed by MICA Human Resources and International Education (obtain this form from MICA Human Resources in Bunting, 3rd floor) 

    • Off Campus Jobs: A job offer letter from your employer 

    •  OPT: Employment Authorization Card 

  •  MICA student identification card 

  • Application Form, which can be found online or completed in person at the Social Security Administration Office

  • After you submit your materials at the Social Security office and are approved, you will receive your social security card in the mail. The process usually takes four to eight weeks. If you have questions, call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.