The Master in Professional Studies (MPS) in the Business of Art and Design provides a comprehensive, highly concentrated education in business management specifically for artists, designers, and related professions. Fundamental to the work of these creative professionals is the production of creative goods and services--yet until now there has been no business degree specifically focused on their unique needs. This innovative Master's program meets this need with a curriculum that is designed to give students the knowledge and skills necessary to start, sustain, or grow an art or design related business, or to be a dynamic creative manager working with or within a business. Through a combination of online instruction and brief residencies at MICA, students gain a grounding in the key functional areas of business management, including accounting, finance, marketing, and more.
Students in this fast-paced and highly concentrated 14-month, online program will:
- Earn 30 credits through a combination of online instruction and MICA-based residencies (four-day long extended weekends at the beginning, midpoint, and end of the program);
- Benefit from a program specifically designed for creative professionals and a curriculum that emphasizes the practical business knowledge needed to start, sustain, and/or grow an art- or design-based business;
- Focus on one of two potential paths-one for the designer/manager, the other for the creative artist/entrepreneur;
- Receive instruction in finance and accounting, study legal issues-including copyrights, trademarks, and intellectual property-and learn strategic marketing skills to move their business plan from theory to the marketplace;
- Obtain a grounding in business ethics, leadership and public speaking skills, and business writing--all elements for long-term professional success;
- Define their business goals, assess their strengths, and, when applicable, develop a business plan.
This page was last updated on 11/22/2016.