The MA in Critical Studies program seeks to enroll students with backgrounds in visual arts and/or liberal arts, including artists, designers, writers, critics, curators, managers in cultural institutions, and more.
Successful candidates will also have:
- An interest in understanding the critical context of their work as professionals and in communicating that context to a larger audience;
- A desire to advance their knowledge in as well as form and communicate ideas about the historical, disciplinary, and social contexts of cultural production and consumption;
- A commitment to providing multicultural and global critical perspectives to diverse audiences;
- An understanding of the shifts and changes int he world of arts criticism in the 20th and 21st centuries;
- Strong writing and critical thinking skills;
- The ability to collaborate with leaders in the arts community and artists working in a range of fields.