facebook pixel

Students, staff & faculty can login to access personalized content.

Parent & Guardian Access is located here.

Please enter your login info

Forgot your password?

[Skip to Content]

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to Frequently Asked Questions from graduate students coming to MICA for the first time. If you have any questions that are not answered in this section, please feel free to get in touch with the Office of Graduate Studies at 410-225-5274 or gradautestudies@mica.edu.  For more information about graduate orientation, visit the MICA Graduate Community.

We hope the answers below will help ease your transition to Baltimore and keep you on track for your arrival at Graduate Orientation.

Though we've had beautiful weather for Orientation the last few years, Baltimore weather can get pretty muggy in late August. Be prepared to take part in activities that will have you walking around campus. Wear comfortable shoes and bring a water bottle.

If you have any questions that are not answered in this section, contact the Graduate Studies Office at (410) 225-5274 or graduatestudies@mica.edu.

How do I get to MICA?

See Visit MICA for driving directions and local transit, as well accommodations and restaurant options near MICA’s campus. Be mindful that parking around the Fred Lazarus IV Center for Graduate Studies is limited to city street, metered parking. If driving to campus for Orientation, we recommend parking in either MICA’s Station Lot, Maryland Ave. Lot, or in the Station North community.

What if I am unable to attend any of the Orientation sessions?

Graduate Orientation is mandatory. There is a tremendous amount of information provided to you at each session including the chance to ask questions and meet key staff. If you are unable to attend any of the scheduled Orientation sessions, notify the Office of Graduate Studies, (410) 225-5274 as soon as possible.

Should I attend the International Pre-Orientation Session, Monday August 21? 

All MFA, MA, and Post-Baccalaureate F1-Visa students must attend the Monday International Pre-Orientation sessions in addition to Graduate Orientation programming on August 21 through August 23. If you have questions about your participation in the International Pre-Orientation session please contact the Graduate Studies Office at (410) 225-5274 or graduatestudies@mica.edu.

Should my spouse, partner, or family members plan on attending Orientation with me?

Unfortunately, Graduate Orientation sessions and activities are not recommended for families or spouses. However, mark your calendar for Duckpin Bowling Night, Thursday, August 24th - family members and partners are welcome!

What is Graduate Convocation, August 21st?

Graduate Convocation is an annual event to welcome new students to MICA and Baltimore, celebrate graduate community, alumni achievements and kick-off another wonderful year. Past speakers have included President Sammy Hoi, Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Studies, Gwynne Keathley, former Baltimore Museum of Art Director, Doreen Bolger, artist/activist, Paul Rucker, performance artist Love the Poet, and recent alumni.

When do I register for classes? Who can I talk to if I have questions about registration?

Registration for Fall 2017 classes begins at 10AM on July 5th for Curatorial Practice, MFA and Post-Bac Graphic Design. All other graduate programs will register beginning at 10AM on July 6th. Post-Bac Fine Art students will be contacted by their program director.

Use the month of June to familiarize yourself with your Graduate Degree Plan, the Fall 2017 schedule of classes and other Graduate Student Registration and Advising Resources. A registration hold has been placed on all incoming student accounts until your registration appointment time. The Office of Graduate Studies is available to assist you during the enrollment process. Contact Erin Jakowski, Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, at ejakowski@mica.edu with any questions or registration issues.

How do I sign up to be a Graduate Teaching Intern?

Attend the Graduate Admission New Student Webinar Session "GTI's & Registration" (online) to find out more information on our Graduate Teaching Internship Program and how to register for fall classes. Click here to connect.

You can also learn more about the Graduate Teaching Internship program during Graduate Orientation August 21 - 23. Placement and assessment procedures, typical work schedule and expectations will be discussed. The session will also cover the requirements by which MFA students can earn The Certificate in College Teaching of Art. All incoming Graduate Students will be given the opportunity to sign up for available Fall 2017 Graduate Teaching Internships as a group the week of Graduate Orientation.

When can I move into my program's studio or workspace?

You will receive instructions for studio or workspace move-in prior to Orientation from your program director and your graduate program assistant. 

What is a MICARD and how do I get one?

The MICARD is a single card used for student identification, access to campus buildings, meal plans, and to make purchases on campus at the College Store, vending machines, Decker Library, post office and print lab, or to purchase food at any campus dining location.

To receive your ID Card promptly at Graduate Orientation:
Submit a digital photo by Monday, August 1st to idcards@mica.edu. Using a digital camera, take a color photo of yourself against a solid background. Send the photo as a jpeg attachment, along with your name, your student classification (graduate student), where you will be living (MICA PLACE, Mt. Royal Apartments, Off-Campus) and your date of birth.

What is a MICARD Flex Account and how do I get one?

Visit MICA GET - Account at https://get.cbord.com/mica. You can sign in with your MICA username and passwords or make a deposit as a guest without logging in.

Meal Plan Options:
Our meal plans are designed specifically to match the lifestyle of artists. They're also your best buy for eating on campus-you always get more for your dollar when you use a block meal rather than purchasing the same items à la carte. Meal service at MICA is provided by Parkhurst Dining Services, including vegetarian and vegan options, fresh side dishes, soups, salads and homemade desserts. 

Breakfast is served both à la carte and "all-you-care-to-eat." A la carte and block meal selections are available in both the Meyerhoff House Dining Room and at Café Doris, located in the Fox Building. Lunch and dinner in the Meyerhoff House Dining Room during the week and all weekend meals (brunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday) are "all-you-care-to-eat." 

In addition to the block meals, meal plans include "dining dollars." These provide the greatest value when used for a cup of coffee or a snack between classes. Dining dollars are exclusively for food at Meyerhoff House Dining Room, Café Doris, Java Corner, and SNAC at Café Nancy (in the Lazarus Center) and may be redeemed without using a block meal.  

More information and pricing can be found here.

What if I have questions about my housing situation?

As a reminder, incoming and current grad students looking for roommates and housing off-campus can join the Office of Graduate Admission Facebook Group, MICA Off-Campus Housing. For questions about the group please e-mail graduate@mica.edu. Students looking for off-campus housing resources and options can also visit MICA's Office of Residence Life and Off-Campus Housing website.

My neighborhood has permitted parking, how do I obtain a permit?

Students who live off-campus may obtain a Resident Parking Permit through the Baltimore City Office of Parking Permits. To be eligible for a Baltimore City parking permit you must reside within the boundaries of that particular area. You must have a valid ID, proof of residence (a lease, notarized letter from your landlord, utility bill, etc.), your driver's license, car registration, and tag number. Participation in the program is limited to residents only. For more information about Residential Parking Permits, contact the Baltimore City Office of Parking Permits, 443-573-2800.

Can I bring my pet onto campus?

Before bringing your pet to campus, you must register by presenting the following forms, which will be kept on file. Please bring them in person along with your pet to the EHS office in the Firehouse. A photo will be taken of your pet for MICA records.

  • Veterinarian Verification Form as proof that your pet is up-to-date on all inoculations
  • Current rabies certificate, which must be kept on file and updated as needed
  • Signed pet waiver

Once the registration process is complete, a MICA Pet ID tag will be assigned to your pet and must be displayed on the pet at all times while on campus. No pet will be allowed on campus without an ID tag.

This page was last updated on 11/06/2017.