The big book on MICA's (nearly) 200-year history is now available at the Decker Library and the MICA Store
Posted 03.03.11 by Katherine Cowan
On November 3, 1825, in a large assembly room on South Charles Street a group of Baltimore's leading citizens met to organize a new educational institution they called 'The Maryland Institute for the Promotion of the Mechanic Arts.'
Thus begins the story of MICA, and the text of MICA: Making History / Making Art by Douglas L. Frost. This book was developed over many years, drawing upon hundreds of documents -- texts and images -- from sources held in the MICA Archives at the Decker Library & Media Resources Collection and in other collections in Baltimore and beyond.
Douglas Frost, MICA's Vice President for Development Emeritus, undertook the project upon retirement after 40 years of service to the College in the course of which he became the school's de facto historian.
Designed in the Baltimore office of international design firm Pentagram by MICA faculty Abbott Miller and Jeremy Hoffman '00, and printed by Schmitz Press in Sparks, MD, the book's large format provides plenty of space to appreciate distinctive imagery from nearly two centuries of Baltimore's and MICA's interwoven history.
The Decker Library has circulating copies available, plus two copies reserved for in-house use.
The MICA Store has the book in stock for purchase on a walk-in basis and also online. See this page for more information and a link to purchase online.
MICA's website has an Historical Timeline that can serve as an introduction to the narrative and imagery.
- Students reading in the Library, ca. 1925. MICA Archives (on the Library/MRC homepage)
- Cover of MICA: Making History / Making Art (above, this page)