Invited: Anniversary List
Friday, Sept. 28-Sunday, Nov. 11 2012
Select Station North Locations
In Conjunction with Station North's September Final Friday, participating Invited businesses will be open for exhibition view. The opening reception will be held Friday, Sept. 28, 2012 from 5–9 p.m. and will begin on the rooftop of Charles Street Parking Garage, 1714 N. Charles Street. The opening will feature remarks by John Waters, Governor O'Malley, and MICA President Fred Lazarus.
The reception will include a performance tour by New York-based artist collective Push Pops as well as a new public sites Station North Avenue Tour by Graham Coreil-Allen '10 (Mount Royal School of Art).
For Invited: The Anniversary List, 10 international and local artists have come together to partner with 10 Station North business owners to celebrate the anniversary of her or his selected business. Invited: The Anniversary List is inspired by the wedding anniversary gift list, a collection of materials symbolizing the length of time shared in a relationship. Each participating artist will use the material associated with the number of years their partnering business has been open as of September 2012. The resulting installations-many of which are new commissions and some of which will become permanent-can show art audiences, customers and residents the positive effects the arts can have on the community and the economy.
"Invited: The Anniversary List will highlight businesses by forming a network within the context of Station North's 10th anniversary, matching artists with business owners to activate their retail spaces," said Matthew Spalding, M.F.A. in Curatorial Practice candidate and co-curator. "This synergy will celebrate the anniversary of each business, promote the inclusion of all businesses within the mission of the arts district and create new relationships within the arts community."
The site-specific installations include work by:
- Jaime Bennati '08 '11 (interdisciplinary sculpture, M.A. in Teaching) for C & N Deli Grocery's first anniversary (paper)
- Faculty member Lauren Boilini '08 (Mount Royal School of Art) for Heavenly Blessings' 37th anniversary (mixed gems)
- Faculty member Amy Boone-McCreesh for Pearson's Florist's 30th anniversary (diamond/pearl)
- Emily C-D '05 (illustration) for Nutty Sensations' first anniversary (paper)
- Nick Clulow '01 (painting) for Chaudron Glass & Mirror Co., Inc.'s 112th anniversary (oak)
- Shana Goetsch '11 '12 (M.A. and M.F.A. in Community Arts) for Honey Carry-Out's sixth anniversary (iron)
- Carolina Mayorga for Nak Won Korean Restaurant's fourth anniversary (linen/silk)
- Amanda Moyer for Sun Grocery's 12th anniversary (silk)
- Cathleen Sachse for Soul II Soul Barbershop & Hair Studio's seventh anniversary (wool)
- Nancy O'D. Wilson '81 (Hoffberger School of Painting) for Caribbean Paradise's 13th anniversary (lace).