facebook pixel

Students, staff & faculty can login to access personalized content.

Parent & Guardian Access is located here.

Please enter your login info

Forgot your password?

[Skip to Content]

Student Injury & Sickness Insurance

United Healthcare Insurance

The 2014-2015 academic year medical insurance coverage plan for full-time undergraduate and graduates students is provided by United Healthcare. Hulse/QM® will continue as the satellite student insurance department to provide oversight, advocacy, management and consultation.

MICA offers its Basic Injury and Sickness Plan for students who are in need of coverage. All MICA students with a minimum of 9 credit hours are required either to enroll in this plan OR to provide proof of other health insurance coverage. Students who enroll in the Basic Injury and Sickness Plan will receive insurance cards within two to three weeks after the initial enrollment date.

By participating in the plan, students receive coverage while studying at MICA or while at home during holiday/vacation periods. The insurance plan also provides coverage for MICA students traveling abroad (please contact Hulse/QM® for additional information on coverage while traveling out of the United States). The policy includes sickness and accident coverage with benefits including:

  • Emergency Room coverage for accident events and Emergency Room coverage for injury or illness with a $50 deductible per occurrence. (For an in-network hospital, the insurance will pay 100% of the charges up to $1,000, then 80% of expenses that exceed $1,000.)
  • Prescription drug coverage has a $10 co-pay for generic drugs and a $20 co-pay for brand name drugs. This co-pay applies to in-network benefits; there are no out-of-network benefits. You will be mailed a permanent ID card that will contain both prescription and health insurance identification numbers. Prescription contraceptives are included with no member cost sharing.
  • The ability to choose medical providers in the United Healthcare Options PPO network. There are 500,000 providers across the US and the District of Columbia. You may search for a participating provider via the web at www.firststudent.com, use the pull down menu to find your school, then use the "find a doctor" link on the left side of the page.

Doctors, hospitals, and clinics should send all medical bills directly to United Healthcare Student Resources PO Box 809025, Dallas, TX, 75380-0925. A claim form is not necessary for every accident and illness event. If additional information is necessary to process your claim, you may receive a communication from United Healthcare, the claims administrators. This communication will contain a form to complete. Please be prompt in your response to ensure payment of your covered medical expenses. If you have any questions regarding the benefit process or need the assistance of a Healthcare Advocate, you may contact MICA's Advocate at Hulse/QM® at 800-398-8441 ext. 105. The office hours while school is in session are Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm.

Please be sure to provide your healthcare provider with your insurance information and the United Healthcare Insurance address where claims should be mailed. The address is listed below and will be listed on your medical insurance card. If you would like to check the status of your claim or have benefit or coverage questions, you may contact United Healthcare at 1-800-505-4160. Please mail all claims and claims correspondence to:

United Healthcare Student Resources
P.O. Box 809025
Dallas, TX 75380-0925

Students may come to the Office of Student Affairs, located on the 2nd floor of the Bunting Center and ask for the Associate Dean for Student Health and Wellness when they are not sure where else to go or if they have additional questions. Parents are also welcome to call our office at 410-225-2422.