facebook pixel
← Return to MICA Leaders This work appears in: MICA Leaders
James Frederick Hopkins

James Frederick Hopkins

Director

1906-1912
The newly instituted title of director, referring to the institution's academic leader, fell in 1906 to James F. Hopkins, who later presided over the dedication of the completed Main Building in 1908. In short order, he expanded MICA's fine arts programs and introduced new concentrations in design and applied arts and illustration. Art history classes were made a regular feature of the curriculum, as was the senior independent thesis, a requirement for graduation that endures to this day.

Image credit: courtesy of MICA Archives.