As a Pre-College student enrolled at MICA, you are entitled to library privileges at the Decker Library.
In order to borrow material from the Decker Library, you must have a MICA photo identification card (or MyCard). You also have to register at the Circulation Desk before checking out any library materials.
It is advised that pre-college students attach money to their MyCards with the Flex account (mica.managemyid.com/student/login.php).
MyCards with Flex funds can be used to print from library computers, make photocopies, pay fines, and to purchase storage CDs, used books or magazines. The library only accepts the MyCard as payment for printing and photocopying (scanning is available at no charge). Cash is accepted for purchasing CDs, used books, and magazines. Please see the MyCard: Student Identification and Flex Account document for more information.
Pre-College Student borrowing privileges are subject to the following:
- Circulating library materials can be checked out for a period of three weeks.
- Pre-College students may check out 10 items at one time.
- Pre-College students may not access the DVD collection.
- As a Pre-College student, your library privileges expire on Friday, July 24, 2015. All borrowed library materials must be returned by that date.
- Overdue library materials are charged $0.25 cents per day with a maximum fine of $7.00. Any unreturned library material will be considered as lost and you will be charged the current replacement book cost and a non-refundable processing cost of $25.00.
- Your Library account can be viewed in person at the Circulation Desk, by phone 410-225-2272, or online through the Library Catalog (click on My Account).
- You can also view your Decker Library account using your mobile device! The free BookMyne app allows you to view your checked-out items, holds and fines, and also allows you to renew your items. Available in iTunes.
- Borrowed library materials can be returned at the Circulation Desk. There is a book drop for after-hours use, located near the Decker Library’s entrance. The book drop is accessible whenever the Bunting Building is open.
Decker Library Hours of Service during Pre-College
June 27 – July 25, 2014
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sunday: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. -- June 28, July 12, July 26
Friday, July 3rd: Closed for Independence Day
Friday, July 17th: Open 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. Closes at 12 noon for ArtScape Weekend
Catalog and Databases
The Decker Library Catalog is available for searching the collection from any location, on- or off-campus. From off-campus, you will be prompted to log in with a MICA user name and password (same as the My MICA Portal log-in). Once you are logged in to the Library Catalog, you can proceed to use Off-Campus links to Research Databases without a second log-in.
Research Databases are available through this website from any computer on-campus.
For Remote Access to research databases, use the Off-Campus links on the Research Databases page. Click on any database link and enter your MICA user name and password (same as My MICA Portal log-in). The log-in will take you directly to the selected database for searching. Once you have logged in to any database -- or to the Library Catalog -- you can proceed to a different database without a second log-in.
Reserve items are kept at the Circulation Desk and can be checked out for a two-hour period. Reserve items are for in-library use only. Materials from the collection that are currently on Reserve will appear in the Library Catalog with a location of "Items on reserve at Circulation Desk."
In accordance with copyright law, MICA does not condone or facilitate reproduction of materials that violates Title 17 of the United States Code of Federal Regulations.
Display of the following notice is required by law:
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Check out this research guide for Pre-College students.
Students are welcome to make an appointment for an individual meeting with a librarian for instruction in using library resources or to develop research strategies for academic projects. Such visits may be scheduled with the Reference Librarians by e-mailing email@example.com or phoning (410) 225-2273.
The Library has two main public areas. The first floor features the Circulation Desk, current periodicals, the sale shelf, new book displays, DVDs and flat exhibit cases. The lower level houses all other circulating library materials including Fiction, computer workstations, screening/study space, the standing exhibit case and the Reference Desk. An elevator is available for wheelchair access. Please ask a staff member for assistance with the elevator.
Contacting the Decker Library
Circulation Desk: (410) 225-2272 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference Desk: (410) 225-2273 / email@example.com