facebook pixel

Students, staff & faculty can login to access personalized content.

Parent & Guardian Access is located here.

Please enter your login info

Forgot your password?

[Skip to Content]

Academic Advising FAQ

Academic advising at MICA is integral to student learning throughout the undergraduate college experience. MICA's undergraduate Academic Advising Center provides guidance and planning through the delivery of advising, mentoring, and enrollment services.

What is Foundation year academic advising?
Academic advising during the Foundation year is provided by an assigned faculty advisor, who is one of your student's Foundation instructors. This system allows for weekly contact between advisor and student, and fosters easy and regular communication of important information. Your student's Foundation faculty advisor serves as a source for general questions and concerns about coursework, academic programs, campus life, and other issues.

This advising is supplemented by the Foundation academic advisor, a professional staff advisor who is in close contact with other campus resources, and dedicated to working with first-year students on a broad range of student life and academic matters. The Foundation academic advisor assists students in registration and scheduling, transfer credit and advanced placement, understanding Foundation requirements, and degree programs.

When do I declaring a major?
In the fall, foundation students attend Major Café, a program that highlights MICA's academic programs and the upperclass experience, and introduces students to all the major departments. Students are also encouraged to explore MICA's majors through attendance at campus events and exhibitions. Majors are confirmed by March 1, prior to the registration period for the fall term. Students may remain undeclared until
the beginning of the second semester of the sophomore year, and may change their major at any point after the initial declaration.

What is upperclass academic advising?
Midway through the spring semester, first-year students are assigned to an upperclass academic advisor. Upperclass advisors are full-time professional staff advisors who work with a student through the remainder of the student's academic career at MICA, regardless of major. This continuity encourages the development of a more substantial advising relationship. Academic advisors support your student's short- and long-term academic planning, clarifying career and life goals, explaining degree requirements, interpreting institutional policy, and navigating the campus community and its offerings.

What about academic advising for transfer students?
Transfer students are advised in the same way as students who begin as freshmen at MICA; they are assigned initially either to a Foundation faculty academic advisor or an upperclass academic advisor based on class level. During the transfer student's initial semester at MICA, the Offices of Academic Advising, Enrollment Services, and Undergraduate Admission are closely involved with a student as transfer credit and class level are determined, and they serve as additional resources for individual needs and concerns.

What about academic advising for international students?
The Office of International Affairs provides a comprehensive range of support services to MICA's international students and manages institutional compliance with US Department of State and US Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations. The office advises international students on immigration laws and procedures, including academic requirements, employment regulations, travel, non-immigrant documents, visas, etc. Workshops and educational programs on immigration and related issues take place throughout the year. International Affairs also provides cross-cultural advising and programs for the MICA community. MICA faculty, staff, and students with questions about cross-cultural communication or other intercultural issues are encouraged to consult the International Affairs office for advice and discussion.