I am interested in the meaning of "signs", not for their literal translation, but as metaphor for our attempts to find meaning by identifying with symbolic form our own small corner or perhaps larger place in the universe.
With trips to France in 1993 and 1997, I have researched the time of human development when we began to mix images and signs to project a philosophy that gave meaning to our place in the universe. This philosophy was drawn and painted with signs and symbolic form deep inside the caves of paleolithic Europe and later was developed in the great stone monuments of Brittany and the British Isles.
In recent work I have adopted the signs and symbols of neolithic and paleolithic man and have reinterpreted them with drawings, constructions, neons and prints. Through working with these prehistoric images, the symbols come full circle to reveal a contemporary philosophy that depicts our true place in the universe, not as dominator, but in mystical reverence of the signs that reveal meaning in the cycles of life.
Comments on Art History As Muse
What is now defined as "art" and "history" did not exist in the lives of the neolithic and paleolithic people that I am most attracted to for inspiration. Real life, spiritual life and creative/ interpretive life were part of the same continuum in the minds and cycles of these people's cultures. The links explored between body, tool, earth, sky, sun, moon, water, plant, animal, and spirit through visual signs and symbols were a way to understand and interpret with reverence the mysteries of the universe. Today, the distance placed between body and spirit by the layers of technology we deal with often prevents us from realizing that we still must revere and embrace these basic links. Thus for me, neolithic or paleolithic "art" has contemporary significance. My stylized "art history" interpretations give contemporary meaning to these ancient cultures' forms and signs, not for their literal translation, but as a metaphor for our serious, yet sometimes humorous attempts to find meaning by identifying with symbolic form our own small corner or perhaps larger place in the universe.
- M.F.A., Hoffberger School Of Painting, Maryland Institute College of Art. Studied with Grace Hartigan.
- B.F.A., School of Art, Syracuse University -- Painting. Studied with Larry Bakke, George Vander Sluis.
- Yale University Summer School of Music and Art. Studied with Mel Bochner.
- Skidmore College SIX Program. Studied with Philip Guston.
1964 - 1966
- The Putney School, Putney, Vermont. Secondary School oriented to the arts.
Employment & Involvement at MICA
1974 - present
- Maryland Institute College of Art, Full Time Faculty Member.
1996 - 2004
- Maryland Institute College of Art, Chairman of Printmaking Department.
- Faculty for General Fine Arts: Senior Thesis
- Faculty for Printmaking: Screenprinting, Intaglio, Collagraph, Lithography, Foundation Printmaking, Advanced Printmaking, Printmaking Senior Thesis
- Faculty for Drawing: Foundation Drawing 1 & 2, Composition/ Inside - Outside (Drawing 3).
- Faculty for Foundation: Elements of Visual Thinking, Phenomena of Color
- Faculty for of Painting: Foundation Painting 1
- Extra - Curricular Activity at MICA
2000 - 2007
- Coordinator of Health and Safety.
1999 - 2007
- Chair of Health and Safety Committee.
1999 - 2000
- Co-chair of Faculty Grants Sub-Committee.
1998 - 2000
- Member of Faculty Grants Sub-Committee.
1998 - 2001
- Member of Faculty Personnel Committee.
- Member of Self-Study Committee on Governance.
1996 - 2004
- Chair of Printmaking.
1994 - 1997
- President of AAUP Chapter at Maryland Institute, College of Art.
- Acting Chair of Printmaking.
1992 - 1994
- Member of Faculty Executive Council.
1992 - 1994
- Chair of Student Affairs Committee of Faculty Executive Council.
- Member of Search Committee for School Counselor.
- Member of Search Committee for ATE Faculty Position.
1982 - 1986
- Chair of Foundation Department.
1978 - 1981
- President of Faculty Assembly.
1977 - 1981
- Member (and Chair) of Faculty Executive Council.
1977 - 1978
- Chair of Evaluation Committee.
- Member of Search Committee for a new President.
1976 - 1977
- Member of Pan - Collegium Committee.
1975 - 1978
- Member of Exhibitions Committee.
Awards & Recognition
- Resident Artist.