Firmin DeBrabander studied Philosophy at Boston College and the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium, and received his Ph.D. in the field from Emory University in 2002. He has taught at MICA since 2005, and served as chair of the Humanistic Studies department from 2009 until 2012. His specialties include the History of Western Philosophy, Ethics, Political Theory, and Environmental Ethics. He also teaches courses on Media Ethics, Economic Theory, Eastern Philosophy, Philosophy of Science, and Medical Ethics. In 2007, he published a book entitled Spinoza and the Stoics (Continuum). He has published academic articles in journals such as History of Philosophy Quarterly, International Philosophy Quarterly, and in a volume issued by Cambridge University Press entitled Stoicism: Traditions and Transformations. More recently, he has written social and political editorials for the Baltimore Sun, Counterpunch and Common Dreams. He has organized several symposia in honor of Constitution Day at the college, including such speakers as John Waters, Helen Thomas, Angela Davis, Ralph Nader, Jesse Jackson, Amy Goodman, Andrew Sullivan, and Cornel West.
Do Guns Make Us Free? Democracy and the Armed Society
- "Deadly Illusion," by Walter Brueggemann, Christian Century, August 5, 2015.
- "Guns in Society: Gun Control, Self Defense, and Civil Rights," The Marc Steiner Show, WEAA (July 28, 2015).
- "Talking About Charleston," Midday with Dan Rodricks, WYPR (June 22, 2015).
- "Do Guns Make Us Free?," The Joy Cardin Show, Wisconsin Public Radio (NPR) (June 22, 2015).
- "Do Guns Make Us Free?," Think, KERA (NPR Dallas) (June 10, 2015).
- "On Firearms And Freedom," Midday with Dan Rodricks, WYPR (June 8, 2015).
Recent Books and Publications
- Do Guns Make Us Free? Democracy and the Armed Society. Yale University Press, 2015.
- Spinoza and the Stoics. Bloomsbury, 2010
- "Fox News and the NRA are Ill: 'The Gun Rights People Have Been Deceptive in Using These Incidents for Their Own Benefit'," Salon, June 19, 2015
- "The Right's Big Gun Lie: Debunking the Phony Case that More Guns Will Stop Crime," Salon, May 24, 2015
- "The NRA's Sinister Project: Turn America into a 'Shoot First' Society," Salon, May 12, 2015
- "How Gun Rights Harm the Rule of Law," The Atlantic, April 1, 2015
- "Campus Carry vs. Faculty Rights," Inside Higher Ed, March 19, 2015