Principals, Directors, Presidents, 1826-present
Several terms have been used to refer to the head of the art school throughout MICA's history. The earliest heads were called "Professor." For the rest of the nineteenth century, the post was known as "Principal." The term "Director" was first used in 1906. It was replaced by the term "President" in 1961.
1826-1835 and 1849-1851
David Acheson Woodward*
Ralph R. Latimer*
Part of 1906
Ralph R. Latimer, vice principal, managed the Schools of Art and Design following the death of Otto Fuchs in March 1906, and prior to the appointment of James Frederick Hopkins in June 1906.
James Frederick Hopkins*
Charles Yardley Turner* (1871)
Edith Hoyt Stewart*
Following C. Y. Turner's death in December 1918, Edith Hoyt Stewart, faculty member and assistant to the director, was appointed acting director.
Hans Schuler Sr.* (1899)
After the departure of Alon Bement in July 1925, Hans Schuler was named acting director. His appointment as director was made official in April 1926. Following Schuler's death in 1951, a Board committee administered the school.
College administered by the Board of Managers
Margaret F. S. Glace*
Upon Albert Maurice's departure in July 1959, Margaret F. S. glace, academic dean and head of the teacher education department, was appointed acting director. She was named director the following year and served until Eugene Leake arrived in September 1961.
Eugene W. Leake*
Theodore E. Klitzke*
1974-1975 and 1977-1978
Theodore Klitzke served as acting president after Leake stepped down in the summer of 1974 and once again after Finn's departure in 1977.
William J. Finn
Fred Lazarus IV
* - Deceased