Whether your sending one envelope or a thousand, there are certain things you'll need to remember to make sure your mail piece gets to where it needs to go.
- Verify your address and make sure it has the correct format
3118 Gwynse Flls av.
Balto, MD 21217
3118 GWYNNS FALLS PKWY
BALTIMORE, MD 21216-2722
- The more computer generated or friendly your address is, the faster it will go through the mail
- If you hand write your address, be sure to use all caps and the Zip code + 4
- Leave space at the bottom of your envelope or postcard to allow for the USPS to print their routing barcode
- To verify your address, go to the USPS website and click the "Look up a Zip Code" button on the left side
Mailings for Pick-up on Campus (Best practice suggestions)
Department who leave letters in their outgoing mailboxes, please observe the follwoing suggestions to help us process your mail quickly and correctly:
- Write or print your department name above the MICA return address. This will help us charge the correct department, or find you if the address information is incomplete. If the letter is returned because the recipient has moved, we will be able to return the letter to you so that you may correct and update your database.
- Envelope flaps down and unsealed: Our postal meter can seal your envelopes, large and small, but they need to go through with the flaps down. If you have a large mailing it will be delayed if we don't receive the envelopes in the correct position and have to send them back to your department.
- Separate sealed and unsealed envelopes: If you prefer to seal your envelopes for any reason, we can adjust the setting on our machine to turn off the automatic sealer. However, our machine cannot process mixed sealed and unsealed envelopes. In groups of envelopes more than 10, please separate and rubber band your sealed envelopes to ensure that no unsealed envelopes go to the USPS unsealed, and that no sealed envelopes are damaged when the machine tries to seal them again.
- Separate domestic and international destinations: It is helpful to separate and indicate groups of international letters, to avoid sending mail with insufficient postage. For larger pieces (parcels and flat over 1 0z), we separate pieces by country to be sure to include the correct amount of postage and avoid returned packages.
- Advance notice of large mailings is always appreciated: Please give us a heads up if you are planning on sending out mailings over 500 pieces so that we can plan enough time and have enough personnel on hand to process them quickly and efficiently. We can also help you order MICA stationery or other mailing supplies you may need, pre-print meter tapes with advanced dates (for larger, non-machineable pieces), and arrange to pick up the stuffed, flaps-down envelopes mailing from your office.
Mailing a Large Number of Parcels
The USPS requires tracking numbers on First-Class Parcels, Priority Mail Pieces, and certain other package services. If you are preparing a Priority mailing for your department over 20 pieces, please contact Daniel Olson at x2446 or email@example.com to discuss the details. We can convert a spreadsheet of address information into labels with address, tracking and postage in a relatively speedy rate with a discount on postage.
MICA offers discount prices for letter mailings over 500 pieces and flat (large envelope) mailings over 150 pieces. Please contact Daniel Olson at x2446 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the specifics regulations and prices for discount mailings.
- Letters: 1 - 3 oz, $0.026 - $0.116 per letter discount, minimum 500 pieces
- Flats: 1 - 7 oz, $0.083 per flat discount, minimum 150 pieces
- We can combine mailings from different departments to make the minimum piece requirements
- Must have computer generated addresses
- Address verification is not required
- For domestic destinations only , not international
- Must be printed on non-glossy paper, but window envelopes are fine
- Day 1: Inform us of your PreSort request, we pick up the mailing and meter it Call-in date
- Day 2: Your mailing is picked up by our PreSort Vender Pick-up date
- Day 3: Your mailing is sorted and handed over to the USPS Postmark date
Other Discount Mailings
To take advantage of larger discounted bulk mail prices (Non-Profit or Standard Mail), you will need to contact one of our affiliated mail houses, Pridemaster or Schmidt. They can help you with address verification, mail piece design and printing, and other ways to contact large groups of people for lower costs.