200 Block of Lafayette Ave.
Posted 01.01.70 by Campus Safety
The following email was sent out to all Faculty, Staff and Students on 12.20.10.
At approximately 6:15 p.m. on Friday 12/17/2010, a female MICA student was walking alone in the 200 block of West Lafayette Street when she was grabbed by an unknown male. A struggle ensued and she escaped without injury. Baltimore City Police and MICA Campus Safety responded quickly and searched the area. A suspect has not been apprehended in this incident and a viable description is not available.
Baltimore City Police are investigating the incident and will deploy more patrols to the area. Campus Safety will be increasing deployment to this area during evening hours. Campus Safety Patrol officers and Police-Eagle patrols will be on foot, bike, motorized and Segway patrol. Campus Safety encourages all members of the MICA community to sign up and use Rave Guardian and:
• Always be alert to your immediate surroundings and keep track of who is in front and behind you. Be especially vigilant in the evening and on weekends when there is less pedestrian traffic in Bolton Hill and on campus.
• Don't allow strangers to approach or follow you on the street. If asked to stop or talk - keep moving away while you listen and watch to size up the situation. If you sense that someone may be following or moving toward you, abruptly change direction several times while moving quickly toward a safe public area or place where you know assistance will be available. You will see how the person responds, and by moving toward a place where assistance is available, you will be that much closer to help if you decide escape is necessary.
• Avoid isolated areas and walking alone; use the evening shuttle when in service. (No shuttle service during the Winter Break. When in operation, hours are Monday-Friday 5:00 pm-3:00 am and Saturday-Sunday 5:00 pm-4:00 am; last call is twenty minutes before end of service).
• Immediately report suspicious persons parked, hanging around, or walking through your neighborhood to Baltimore City Police (911) and Campus Safety (443-423-3333) before you come into close contact with them. Let us investigate before something happens.
• On-Campus Walking Escorts are available. Officers will walk with you between campus buildings or to/from your car. Request service through a lobby security guard or call 410-225-2245.
• Register for Rave Guardian and MICA Alert at the same time. Transform your mobile phone into a personal alarm beacon. In the event of an emergency, critical information you elect to share will be provided to MICA Campus Safety to help us more quickly respond and help you. This service is provided to you free of charge by MICA. https://www.getrave.com/login/mica
If you are a victim of or witness to a crime, contact Baltimore City (911) immediately and then report it to Campus Safety (443-423-3333).