Campus Map Cohen Plaza Sally's Garden Frost Plaza Worthington Triangle Fred Lazarus IV Center Founders Green The Firehouse The Gateway 15/15 Building Wellness Center Mt Royal Townhouses Kramer House Meyerhoff House Bunting Center Fox Building Brown Center Main Building Annex Building School of Professional and Continuing Studies Campus Safety Office of Research/Undergraduate Studies Art/Tech Center MICA Store Dolphin Building Mt Royal Station
screen
screen
close window [x]
image
Students work hard in a 15/15 classroom.
Students work hard in a 15/15 classroom.
Students work hard in a 15/15 classroom.
A student presents project to faculty in 15/15.
Outside 15/15.
< >

15/15 Building

1515 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Sunday–Thursday: 7am–2am
  • Friday–Saturday:8am–3am

The 15/15 Building is home to a number of MICA undergraduate programs, including Architectural Design, Environmental Design, and Foundation.

close window [x]
image
The Annex building.
The Annex building.
< >

Annex Building

116–118 Lanvale St.

The Main Building Annex is home for MICA's Advancement Division, which includes the Development Department and Communications Department, as well as Parent and Alumni Affairs.

close window [x]
image
Students work with the Digital Printing staff in the Art Tech Center.
Students work with the Digital Printing staff in the Art Tech Center.
Students work with the Digital Printing staff in the Art Tech Center.
Students printing fabric in the Art Tech Center's fabric printing studio.
Students preparing files for print in the Art Tech Center.
Students preparing files for print in the Art Tech Center.
Students preparing files for print in the Art Tech Center.
A student adds final touches to his print in the Art Tech Center.
< >

Art/Tech Center

1208 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

Hours vary; please click here for detailed hours of operation.

The Art Tech Center houses a number of technology resources for the MICA campus. Originally a union headquarters, the College purchased and renovated the building in the 1980's to become MICA's first cafeteria. When the new campus cafeteria was built in 2005 within the Meyerhoff House, plans were made to reuse the building and in 2007 the Art Tech Center was developed as a central resource to house MICA's growing fabrication and printing technologies. Today the Art Tech Center is home to the following resources:

  • The Digital Print Studio
  • Fiber Department's wide format textile printing system
  • Ten different desktop computers in the first floor computer lab, including nine Mac computers and one PC
close window [x]
image
Students performing HAIR: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical.
Cast and crew reherse for a performance held at BBox.
Cast and crew reherse for a performance held at BBox.
Patrons and students anxiously file into the BBOX theatre.
Students and patrons patiently waiting for the performance to begin.
Students performing a piece in the BBOX theatre
Students performing a piece in the BBOX theatre
Students performing a piece in the BBOX theatre
Students performing A Streetcar Named Desire.
< >

BBOX

1601 W. Mt. Royal Ave., first floor

The Black Box performance space, located in the Gateway building, is largely a flexible performance space, showcasing plays, musicals, and other interdisciplinary, experimental, traditional and multimedia works created and performed by MICA students, faculty, and staff as well as members of the greater Baltimore arts community.

It is named for MICA alumni and longtime spporters Betty Cooke '46 and William O. Steinmetz '50, both distinguished and noted designers. Betty Cooke, called a "modern jewelry pioneer" is a MICA Alumni Award recipient, and former MICA faculty member. William Steinmetz is also an Alumni Award recipient, Alumni Council chair emeritus, MICA trustee, and a former MICA faculty member.

View more images of The Gateway in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Brown Center at night.
Brown Center
Students, faculty and staff bustle about in the Brown Center's lobby and hallways.
A student exhibits wearable fiber art during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show.
The lobby of the Brown Center during a reception.
Student admires artwork hung in the Brown Center's Rosenberg Gallery.
Brown Center's entrance.
MICA's Brown Center at night.
MICA's Brown Center.
MICA's Brown Center: concrete, steel, and glass.
Stairs in MICA's Brown Center.
A view of the Brown Center's entrance from the second floor.
A view of Leidy Atrium in MICA's Brown Center.
< >

Brown Center

1301 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Weekdays: 7am–2am
  • Saturdays: 8am–2am
  • Sundays: 8am–3am

The Eddie C. and C. Sylvia Brown Center was built for design and time-based media programs, and houses classroom & studio space for Animation, Interaction Design and Art, Video and Film Arts, and both graduate & undergraduate Graphic Design programs. It is also home to a 525-seat auditorium, Falvey Hall, as well as Leidy Atrium, and Rosenberg Gallery. When it opened, Architectural Record called it "the finest modern building erected in Baltimore or Washington" in a quarter-century.

The Brown Center is named for Baltimore philanthropists and former MICA trustees Eddie and Sylvia Brown, the parents of MICA alumnus Tonya Ingersoll '02, herself a former trustee. Eddie Brown is the CEO of Brown Capital Management, one of the country's oldest African-American owned investment management firms with $5.3 billion in assets under management today. A television personality in the field of finance for 25 years, he was inducted into the Maryland Chamber of Commerce Hall of Fame in 2004. The Browns' gift to help construct Brown Center was one of the largest gifts to an educational institution by an African-American family in the country's history.

View more images of Brown Center in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Students having an engaging discussion in a Bunting Center classroom.
Students having an engaging discussion in a Bunting Center classroom.
Students having an engaging discussion in a Bunting Center classroom.
A student reflects on discussion in a Bunting Center classroom.
MICA's Bunting Center.
Academic advising in the Bunting Center.
MICA's Bunting Center.
MICA's Bunting Center.
< >

Bunting Center

1401 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Thursday: 7am–11pm
  • Friday: 7am–7pm
  • Saturday: 8am–7pm
  • Sunday: 9am–7pm

The George L. Bunting, Jr. Center houses Decker Library and Pinkard Gallery on the ground floor and classroom space on the third and fourth floors, mostly for Humanistic Studies classes. The second floor includes a full student service center, comprised of offices for Student Affairs, Student Accounts, Enrollment & Advising, and International Affairs. The second floor also holds Java Corner, a cafe serving light fare and beverages during daytime hours. The upper floors contain offices for Human Resources, the Office of Community Engagement, and Technology Systems and Services. The MICA Postal and Print Center is on the ground floor.

The Bunting Center is named in honor of the contributions of George L. Bunting, Jr., a long-time MICA trustee and former president and CEO of Noxell, which has included Cover Girl and Noxema among its product lines. Among other efforts, Bunting chaired the Board of Trustees search committee that recommended the appointedment of Fred Lazarus IV as MICA president. Bunting, who with wife Anne in 2011 gave MICA the largest gift in its history, $10 million, is a trustee emeritus and an honorary degree recipient.

View more images of Bunting Center in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
The illuminated sign of Cafe Doris as patrons gather.
Students and staff bustle about during a lunch rush.
The entrance to Cafe Doris through the Fox Building.
Students and staff bustle about during a lunch rush.
< >

Café Doris

1303 W. Mt. Royal Ave., first floor

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Friday: 8:30am–4:30pm (closed during breaks)

Café Doris, located in the Fox building, is named for Doris Rief '86 in recognition of her support for the College. The café is a popular stop for hungry students or community members visiting the Decker and Meyerhoff galleries or adjacent Brown Center. Her memory is preserved at the café, where students, staff , and faculty gather each day to share coffee and food while they create their own lasting memories of MICA. Rief also worked with the College to create Sally's Garden, a peaceful gathering spot on busy Mount Royal Avenue, in her daughter's memory.

View more images of the Fox Building in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
The Campus Safety building.
Students work with the Digital Printing staff in the Art Tech Center.
< >

Campus Safety

1212 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Campus Safety officers patrol the campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. In addition, an off-duty Baltimore City Police officer patrols the campus during the evening hours when classes are in session. Security guards and student monitors at Campus Safety desks near the entrances of most academic buildings are the eyes and ears of MICA.

close window [x]
image
A student recieves information about Career Development packet.
Reading area with beautiful view of Founder's Green.
A student is assisted by a Career Development associate.
< >

Joseph Meyerhoff Center for Career Development

1601 W. Mt. Royal Ave., second floor

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Friday: 9am–5pm

Located in the Gateway Building, The Joseph Meyerhoff Center for Career Development's mission is to foster the professional growth of MICA students and alumni. Through full-time counselors, career fairs, presentations, technological resources, and other tools, the center offers career guidance, professional development programming and job and internship services. It is named for Baltimore construction pioneer Joseph Meyerhoff and former Baltimore Symphony Orchestra president and his family, who have been strong MICA supporters for decades.

View more images of The Gateway in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
The entrance to Carter Hall.
A student relaxes in Carter Hall's lounge area.
A view of Carter Hall's lounge area.
< >

Carter Hall

Hours of Operation

  • Sunday: 24 hours/day

After Maryland Institute's original location in downtown Baltimore was destroyed in the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904, Board President John M. Carter secured funding from Andrew Carnegie and the State of Maryland to build the Main Building on Mount Royal Avenue. Signaling a new era for the school, the Main Building was to serve as home for most classes for years and made possible the continued expansion of the school's educational programs. Carter's portrait now hangs in the Main Building's boardroom.

View more images of Founders Green in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
A tent shines with a night time celebration on the Cohen Plaza.
A tent shines with a night time celebration on the Cohen Plaza.
Students conversing on Cohen Plaza during a pleasant day.
On a warm and sunny day, students take advantage of the open space.
An evening jam session.
Setting up a craft's booth.
Students and staff browsing through the booths.
Cohen Plaza on a sunny day.
Students enjoying some company and tasty food.
Entertaining the crowd at the Carribean Carnival.
Doing the limbo at the Carribean Carnival.
Bubbles and sunshine are always a good combination.
Having some fun at Last Blast.
Having some fun at Last Blast.
Having some fun at Last Blast.
< >

Cohen Plaza

1301 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Called MICA's front yard, the Ben and Zelda Cohen Plaza is a calming lawn surrounded by wonderful landscaping, walkways, benches, and a fountain, located between the Brown Center, Fox Building, Bunting Center, and Mt. Royal Avenue. It is a popular gathering space for students and other members of the MICA community, either for campus events and student activities or simply to relax between classes. It is also used for student outdoor art installations.

The creation of Cohen Plaza was made possible by a generous donation from MICA alumna and trustee Rosalee Davison '60 and Richard Davison and Rosalee's sister, Charlotte Cohen Weinberg, in conjuntion with the Ben and Zelda Cohen Foundation. The campus is an important landmark for Davison's family, as her family's business and offices have been located in the neighborhood. Her parents, Ben and Zelda Cohen, were prominent figures in Maryland horse racing. Ben Cohen also was a co-owner of the Pimlico Race Course.

close window [x]
image
Guests remove their shoes in respect for an exhibition in the Decker Gallery.
Guests congregate, discuss, and appreciating the exhibition.
Artist Lenore Tawney speaks to a group of students and guests.
The Decker Gallery features the work of Lenore Tawney.
MICA's Decker Gallery.
An exhibition at MICA's Decker Gallery.
< >

Decker Gallery

1303 W. Mt. Royal Ave., first floor

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Saturday: 10am–5pm
  • Sunday: 12pm–5pm

Fanny Fox Decker Gallery is a climate controlled gallery space at MICA designed to host major exhibitions by local, national, and internationally known artists. Located in the Fox Building, it is named for MICA alumna and philanthropist Fanny Fox Decker in recognition of her family's support for the College.

View more images of the Fox Building in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Giving instruction to students in the library.
The sign of the Decker Library.
The sign and lobby of the Decker Library.
The magazine area of the Decker Library
The magazine and study area of the Decker Library.
Students reading at a table in the Decker Library.
< >

Decker Library

1401 W. Mt. Royal Ave., first floor

Hours of Operation

Please visit Decker Library & Media Resources Collection

Located on the first and ground floors of the Bunting Center, Decker Library contains almost 64,000 monographs and 325 current periodical subscriptions, and provides online access to more than 5,500 full-text journal titles, and hundreds of digital reference sources in art and numerous other subjects. It is named for MICA alumna and philanthropist Fanny Fox Decker in recognition of support for the College from Decker and her family, including Jane Decker Asmis and Virginia and Alonzo Decker.

View more images of Bunting Center in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Students critique prints in the Dolphin Building's screenprinting studio.
Students critique prints in the Dolphin Building's screenprinting studio.
Students critique prints in the Dolphin Building's screenprinting studio.
Students hard at work in the Dolphin Building's letterpress studio.
Students hard at work in the Dolphin Building's letterpress studio.
Students hard at work in the Dolphin Building's letterpress studio.
Clean-up time.
Clean-up time.
A student perfects her prints in Dolphin Building.
A student perfects her prints in Dolphin Building.
A student perfects her prints in Dolphin Building.
The Dolphin Building.
< >

Dolphin Building

1401 Dolphin St.

Hours of Operation

  • Weekdays: 7am–2am
  • Saturdays: 8am–3am
  • Sundays: 8am–3am

The Dolphin Building, named for its location on Dolphin Street in Baltimore, houses many of MICA's printmaking classes and equipment. It is also home to printing presses, Dolphin Press and Print (a professional printmaking and letterpress shop) and MICA's Globe Poster Printing Corporation collection which resulted from the College's newsmaking acquistion of the large majority of wood type, letterpress cuts, original posters, and carvings from the historic company, known for iconic posters featuring R&B, soul, and jazz performers.

close window [x]
image
Students showcase wearable fiber art and fashion during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show in Falvey Hall.
Students showcase wearable fiber art and fashion during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show in Falvey Hall.
Breakdancers show off their moves in Falvey Hall.
Students showcase wearable fiber art and fashion during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show in Falvey Hall.
Vice President Emeritus Doug Frost and Vice President of Operations Michael Molla at a launch event for the College's History Book.
Dr. Cornel West, activist Lisa Fithian and artist Lize Mogel discuss events and ideas during a Constitution Day panel.
Dr. Angela Davis speaks during Constitution Day.
Aminah Robinson shares a visual during the Transformation conference.
A member of the audience has a question for the panel.
Models display wearable fiber art and fashion during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show.
Models display wearable fiber art and fashion during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show.
Model displays wearable fiber art and fashion during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show.
Model displays wearable fiber art and fashion during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show.
Model displays wearable fiber art and fashion during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show.
A bird's eye view of the Falvey Hall during a presentation.
Panelist Jay Stanley and blogger Andrew Sullivan during a panel on Constitution Day 2011.
Models display wearable fiber art and fashion during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show.
Models display wearable fiber art and fashion during the Annual Benefit Fashion Show.
MICA's President Fred Lazarus IV addresses the graduates, family and friends during commencement in Falvey Hall.
Students file into Falvey Hall for commencement.
< >

Falvey Hall

1301 W. Mt. Royal Ave., lower level

Located in the Brown Center, Falvey Hall is MICA's largest auditorium and can seat more than 500 people. It hosts scores of large events each year, from lectures by visiting artists to student produced events, including the Annual Benefit Fashion Show. For many years, it has also been a principal location for the Maryland Film Festival. Many notable figures have spoken from its stage, including activists Angela Davis and Jesse Jackson, intellectuals like Dr. Cornell West, David Simon, producer of HBO's The Wire, Congressman Elijah Cummings, and many others.

Falvey Hall is named in honor of the support for MICA provided by trustee Alice Falvey Greif, husband Dr. Roger Greif, and her family.

View more images of Brown Center in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
The Firehouse building.
The Firehouse.
< >

Firehouse

The Firehouse is headquarters for MICA's Operations Department. It was at one time an operational firehouse prior to its renovation in 2003.

close window [x]
image
Founders Green
The entrance to Founders Green.
Glace Grill in Glace Hall.
< >

Founders Green

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Sunday: 24 hours/day

Founders Green is a MICA residential complex, comprised of five buildings and large courtyard. The complex includes student apartments and artists' studios, a grill-style dining facility, an auditorium, black-box style theater, laundry facilities, a mail center, recreation space, and lounge space for students. Its buildings—Latrobe House, Carter Hall, Spear Hall, Glace Hall and Leake Hall, are named for pivotal figures in MICA's history, including John H.B. Latrobe, MICA's founder.

View more images of Founders Green in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
The Fox Building.
The Fox Building.
A sculpture atop the Fox Building.
The Fox Building.
A studio classroom in the Fox Building.
Sitting Buddha behind MICA's Fox Building.
Students enjoy the nice weather outside of MICA's Fox Building.
< >

Fox Building

1303 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Thursday: 7am–2am
  • Friday–Sunday: 8am–3am

The Charles James Fox Building is home to two large exhibition spaces: Decker Gallery and Meyerhoff Gallery. Additional gallery space is located on the second and third floors. Fox Building includes a wood shop, ceramics facilities, and studio space for illustration, environmental design, and Masters of Arts in Community Arts students. Classrooms for painting, foundation, illustration, drawing, and environmental design are located on the second, third, and fourth floors, in addition to classrooms for Center for Art Education programs located on the ground floor. It also houses Café Doris, which serves light meals and snacks.

Originally the Cannon Shoe Factory, The Fox Building is named for Charles James Fox '1884, MICA alumnus and grandfather of Al Decker, Jr. Decker, the long-time CEO of the Black and Decker company co-founded by his father, served as honorary chairman of the capital campaign that raised funds to purchase and renovate the building. Decker's mother, Fanny Fox Decker 1904, was also a MICA alumnus and large donor to the school.

close window [x]
image
A sunny day in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A quiet afternoon in Frost Plaza.
A student discusses his work with visitors during ArtWalk.
Students prepare for commencement in Frost Plaza.
Students prepare for commencement in Frost Plaza.
Many artists, such as R&B singer  Miguel, hand out in Frost Plaza to warm up during Artscape.
< >

Frost Plaza

1400 Cathedral St.

Leading into the Mt. Royal Station Building is Douglas L. Frost Plaza, named for MICA's first full-time fundraising professional, Vice President for Development Emeritus Douglas L. Frost. Frost served for 40 years, spearheading MICA's first capital campaign, and leading the effort to fund its academic and physical expansion over the next four decades. Frost literally wrote the history of MICA," 2011's "Making History/ Making Art/ MICA, which won Frost the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference's 2011 Arline Custer Memorial Award and was named "Baltimore Magazine" Best Coffee Table Book in their 2011 "Best of Baltimore" edition.

close window [x]
image
Meeting in the Gateway conference room.
A DJ sets up in the Rett Nearburg plaza at Gateway for Old School Recess.
Jumping rope in the Rett Nearburg plaza for Old School Recess.
A sponge race for Old School Recess.
Students prepare for a sack race.
Enticing a student to try some tasty food.
Old School Recess
Old School Recess
The Gateway's courtyard.
Outside BBOX in the Gateway.
Harriet's Haven outside the Gateway.
MICA's Gateway building.
MICA's Gateway building.
MICA's Gateway building.
MICA's Gateway building.
A dorm room in MICA's Gateway building.
A lounge in MICA's Gateway building.
< >

The Gateway

1601 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Sunday: 24 hours/day

The Gateway Residence Hall marks arrival both at MICA's campus and the nearby Station North Arts and Entertainment District, one of the first of its kind in the country. Gateway includes three and four bedroom student apartments as well as studio spaces on the second through seventh floors. Student Space Galleries are on the first floor across from the BBOX—a black box theater used for a wide range of performaning arts productions, including plays and musicals. Gateway Cafe, also located on the ground floor, serves light fare, beverages, and ice cream. The Joseph Meyerhoff Center for Career Development, located on the second floor of Gateway, is a one-stop resource for students preparing to transition into the professional world of art and design, alumni making a transition in their careers, and employers and institutions that would like to connect with MICA students and alumni.The Maryland Chapter of American Institute of Architects presented MICA with a 2009 Honor Award for excellence in design for the Gateway.

The third floor contains the open-air Rett Nearburg '07 Courtyard, where students can meet up, relax, or hold events. The courtyard is named for Rett Nearburg, a MICA student who counted his time at the College among his greatest life experiences, even as he fought to overcome illness in recognition of his life and support for the College from his parents, Dana Nearburg and longtime trustee Charles Nearburg.

View more images of The Gateway in Browse Art

Watch a video of The Gateway in The National Building Museum's House Home exhibition

close window [x]
image
Frontal view of Glace Hall, located in Founders Green.
Glace Grill in Glace Hall.
< >

Glace Hall

Hours of Operation

  • Sunday: 24 hours/day

Margaret Glace became the first female dean at an art school when named Maryland Institute's academic dean in 1948. As dean and acting director, she was instrumental in the Institute's evolution into an accredited, degree-granting institution and also served as a director of the new National Association of Schools of Art and Design. MICA's foundation program was also created under her tenure. Glace Hall includes a new student life space, a grill-style dining facility, and expanded laundry facilities.

View more images of Founders Green in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Outside the Office of Graduate Admission, Graduate Studies, and Research on the first floor of the Fred Lazarus IV Center.
< >

Graduate Admission

131 W. North Ave., first floor

Graduate Admission offices are located on the first floor of the Fred Lazarus IV Center.

close window [x]
image
Students take a break from their studies in the Studio Center's grad lounge.
Graduate student hard at work in her studio.
The Graduate Studio Center auditorium.
Grad students congregate for orientation outside of the Graduate Studio Center.
Grad students congregate for orientation outside of the Graduate Studio Center.
< >

Fred Lazarus IV Center

131 W. North Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Weekdays: 7am–2am (24 hr. grad access)
  • Saturdays: 8am–2am (24 hr. grad access)
  • Sundays: 8am–3am (24 hr. grad access)

Located along North Avenue, the Fred Lazarus IV Center is the hub of graduate student life at MICA. The 120,000-square-foot facility includes publicly accessible galleries, Nancy (café), an auditorium, multiple classrooms and conference areas, graduate admissions offices, and instructional space uniquely designed for students in the MFA in Curatorial Practice, LeRoy E. Hoffberger School of Painting, Mount Royal School of Art, and MFA in Photographic and Electronic Media programs. It also includes 177 studios, digital, computer, and photo labs, a fabrication workshop, and spray booths.

Other notable spaces include the Leidy Gallery on the lower level, the Sheila & Richard Riggs Gallery on the main floor, the France-Merrick Foundation Gallery on the 2nd Floor, the Alvin and Louise Myerberg Gallery on the 3rd floor, and the Fredye & Adam Gross Seminar Room, named for long-serving MICA trustee Fredye Gross and Adam Gross. In recognition of generous support from trustee Wendy Jachman and her sister Jennifer Myerberg, Alvin and Louise Meyerberg Gallery is named in memory of their parents, Baltimore businessman Alvin Meyerberg and Louise Meyerberg, herself a MICA student.

In addition to providing the facilities MICA needs to remain at the forefront of graduate art and design education, the building also promises to be a boon to the Station North Arts and Entertainment District. Once a challenged area of Baltimore, MICA's presence there has helped to revitalize the area and turn it into a vibrant community for both creative professionals and cultural enthusiasts. MICA celebrated the opening of the building with a VIP reception and a leadership dinner attended by Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley and United States Senator Ben Cardin.

close window [x]
image
Java Corner located on the second floor of Bunting Center.
< >

Java Corner

1401 W. Mt. Royal Ave., second floor

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Friday: 8:30am–4:30pm (closed during breaks)

View more images of Bunting Center in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Kramer House is home to our various visiting artists.
Kramer House is home to our various visiting artists.
< >

Kramer House

121 W. Mosher St

Used a residence for visiting artists and faculty, Kramer House is literally the former home of noted artist Reuben Kramer '34. Kramer, born and raised in East Baltimore, is one of MICA's most distinguished alumni. Best known for sculptures in bronze-including small works that illuminate moments in daily life and monumental public sculptures, including the portrait of Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall that stands at the federal courthouse in downtown Baltimore-Kramer was a prolific artist during his 70-year career. His drawings and sketches offer an intimate view into his creative process and aesthetic vision. Kramer attended MICA on a scholarship beginning at the age of 15. He graduated from the Rinehart School of Sculpture in 1934. At 24, Kramer was awarded the prestigious Prix de Rome, and it was in Rome that he discovered his unique vision of working in the medium of bronze to create abstract human forms. He co-founded and became director of the Baltimore Art Center, the first ethnically integrated art school registered in Maryland, and remained director through 1956.

close window [x]
image
Latrobe House.
View from entrance of Latrobe House.
< >

Latrobe House

Hours of Operation

  • Sunday: 24 hours/day

Twenty-two-year-old John H.B. Latrobe was a painter, inventor, author, and lawyer when he wrote the charter for the school that would eventually become MICA. The Maryland Institute for the Promotion of the Mechanic Arts was created when the charter was approved by the State of Maryland on January 20, 1826, and eventually became the school known today. From the beginning, the charter called for the school to be a place of invention. Latrobe House is designed as a social area for receiving guests. It is also the new home of the Office of Residence Life.

View more images of Founders Green in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Leake Hall.
Leake Hall.
Leake Hall.
Visitors gather in the lobby of Leake Hall.
A multi-purpose lecture room in Leake Hall.
The living area of an apartment in Leake Hall.
A typical bedroom in a Leake Hall apartment.
A large bathroom in a Leake Hall apartment.
Communal space in Leake Hall.
< >

Leake Hall

Hours of Operation

  • Sunday: 24 hours/day

In 1963, Maryland Institute selected a Yale-trained painter, former Navy Captain Eugene W. "Bud" Leake to be president. His accomplishments include: the addition of the Mount Royal Station building to MICA's campus; the establishment of the LeRoy E. Hoffberger School of Painting, and Mount Royal School of Art, two flagship MFA programs; the recruitment of eventual Director of the LeRoy E. Hoffberger School of Painting Grace Hartigan onto the faculty; the hiring of the first full-time liberal arts faculty; the tripling of enrollment numbers; and the official transition from an institute to a fully accredited college. The new residence hall constructed along North Avenue has been named in his honor.

View more images of Founders Green in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Main Building in the Snow.
A student composes a rendering of a statue in the Main Building.
Trustee William Steinmetz '50 poses outside Main Building during graduation weekend.
Student work is hangs in the Main Building during the annual Commencement Exhibition.
The Main Building steps are the arena for family-oriented entertainment during the annual Artscape Festival.
The painted car parade passes by Main Building during Artscape.
The Main Building is set to host the first commencement ceremony for the MPS in the Business of Art and Design program graduates.
Governor O'Malley and Mayor Rawlings-Blake help summer youth employees at MICA trim the bushes outside Main Building.
Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake announces city grants for summer youth employment at press conference in the Main Building.
Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley announces state grants for summer youth employment at  press conference in the Main Building.
Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley arrives in the Main Building for press conference announcing state and city grants for summer youth employment.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
MICA students take over the Main Building each year for the annual Halloween party.
< >

Main Building

1300 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Weekdays: 7am–11pm
  • Saturdays: 8am–11pm
  • Sundays: 9am–11pm

The Main Building houses the Office of Admission & Financial Aid, as well as the President's Office, the Office of Academic Affairs, the Foundation department and the Photography department, as well as studio space for painting and drawing classes. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It includes expansive studio classrooms, a student-run gallery, and darkrooms for photography processing. A scene featuring actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus in the pilot episode of HBO's Veep was filmed in Main Building.

View more images of the Main Building in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Students converse and enjoy lunch in the Meyerhoff House Dining Room.
Students converse and enjoy lunch in the Meyerhoff House Dining Room.
< >

Meyerhoff House Dining Room

Meyerhoff House, first floor

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Friday: 11am–2pm; 5pm–7:30pm
  • Saturday: 11am–2pm; 5pm–70pm
  • Sunday: 11am–2pm; 5pm–7:30pm

The Meyerhoff Dining Room, located in Meyerhoff House, is MICA's largest dining facility, serving a range of options for breakfast, lunch, and dinners, as well as special events.

View more images of Meyerhoff House in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Visitors view an exhibition of painted screens in the Fox Building's Meyerhoff Gallery.
Visitors view an exhibition of painted screens in the Fox Building's Meyerhoff Gallery.
< >

Meyerhoff Gallery

1303 W. Mt. Royal Ave., first floor

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Saturday: 10am–5pm
  • Sunday: 12pm-5pm

The Meyerhoff Gallery is home to major exhibitions by local, national, and internationally known artists. It is one of a number of sites for the annual Faculty, Foundation, and Commencement exhibitions. Meyerhoff Gallery was dedicated in 1981 in recognition of the interest, leadership, and generosity of Robert and Jane Meyerhoff. Mr. Meyerhoff served as vice-chairman of the effort to open the Fox Building, while Mrs. Meyerhoff, who was actually born in the hospital, co-chaired the campaign to renovate Mt. Royal Station into a MICA academic building in the 1960s.

View more images of the Fox Building in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Meyerhoff House
A student reading in her room.
Students doing homework together in room.
Students doing homework together in room.
A student washes didshes in spacious kitchen in her Meyerhoff House apartment.
< >

Meyerhoff House

address

Hours of Operation

  • Sunday: 24 hours/day

Robert and Jane Meyerhoff House offers a cutting-edge residential life experience designed for mature and independent student artists. Not only a residence hall, Meyerhoff House's student center includes a buffet-style dining hall and is a hub for student life programming, including the Student Activities Office and Office of Diversity.

Meyerhoff House was formerly the Hospital for the Women of Maryland, opened in 1882 as the second women's hospital in the country. It is named to honor the support of Robert and Jane Meyerhoff, longtime supporters of the College. Mr. Meyerhoff served as vice-chairman of the effort to open the Fox Building, while Mrs. Meyerhoff, who was actually born in the hospital, co-chaired the campaign to renovate Mt. Royal Station into a MICA academic building in the 1960s.

View more images of Meyerhoff House in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
thumb
< >

MICA PLACE

814 Collington Ave.

MICA PLACE (Programs Linking Art, Culture, and Education) is a hub for graduate study focused on community engagement, preparing students for civic-minded careers in action-oriented community arts and social design work, as well as other professions. Programs housed there support community development, revitalization, and health and well-being through educational programs, and art and design projects. Located in East Baltimore, MICA PLACE features studios, computer labs, seminar space, and exhibition space, as well as two levels of graduate apartments. It is also home to the Rouse Company Foundation Gallery.

close window [x]
image
MICA Store
MICA Store
MICA bookstore offers an array of textbooks and supplies at affordable prices.
< >

MICA Store

1200 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Thursday: 7am–2am
  • Friday–Sunday: 8am–3am

The MICA College Store is a nonprofit dedicated to providing students, artists, and the general public with quality art products and books at very competitive prices. The funds raised through the store are given back to the MICA students through scholarships and improvements to the College.

close window [x]
image
An exhibit ready for Art Walk.
< >

Middendorf Gallery

1400 Cathedral St.

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Saturday: 10am–5pm
  • Sundays: 12pm–5pm (Closed major holidays)

The Middendorf Gallery is located on the first floor of the Mt. Royal Station Building and showcases exhibitions featuring both noted nationally-recognized artists and MICA students.

View more images of Mount Royal Station in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Students creating their next piece.
A student working on his next piece in the Mt Royal Station foundry.
A student working on his next piece in the Mt Royal Station foundry.
Packing up.
Packing up.
Students participate in photoshoot.
Students participate in photoshoot.
A Fiber Department classroom at the day's end.
< >

Mount Royal Station

1400 Cathedral St.

Hours of Operation

  • Weekdays: 7am–2am (24 hr. Rinehart access)
  • Fridays and Sundays: 8am–3am (24 hr. Rinehart access)

Mount Royal Station houses the Middendorf Gallery, Rinehart School of Sculpture, and studio and classroom space for the foundation, interdisciplinary sculpture, and fiber departments. Mount Royal Station's facilities for students include a metalworking foundry, weaving loft with large-scale looms, dye kitchen, and silkscreen exposure unit.The building was originally built in 1896 as a B&O passenger train station. It is an official historic landmark, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. It was also declared an official project of Save America's Treasures in 2005. The New York Times called MICA's acquisition and renovation of the building "one of the country's earliest adaptive reuses of an historic property." In its heyday as a train station, U.S. presidents including Wilson, Coolidge, Hoover, FDR, and Eisenhower stopped through on their way to and from Washington, DC.

View more images of Mount Royal Station in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
The Mount Royal Townhouses.
The Mount Royal Townhouses.
< >

Mount Royal Townhouses

1500 block of W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Mt. Royal Townhouses provide living space primarily for graduate students. They were among MICA's first student housing as the College began to develop a robust student life experience.

close window [x]
image
Visitors converse near Nancy, the café located in the Fred Lazarus IV Center, during the graduate open house.
< >

Nancy

131 W. North Ave., first floor

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Thursday: 9:30am–2pm; 5pm–3:30pm (closed during breaks)

Named for MICA supporter Nancy Haragan, Nancy is a cafe on the first floor of the Fred Lazarus IV Center along North Avenue. Nancy was made possible through the support of long-time MICA trustee M. Gwen Davidson.

close window [x]
image
The Office of Research and Undergraduate Studies.
The Office of Research and Undergraduate Studies.
< >

Office of Research/Undergraduate Studies

1210 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

The Office of Research and The Office of Undergraduate Studies are housed at 1210 W. Mt. Royal Avenue next to the Art/Tech Center. This building includes offices for the vice-provost for undergraduate studies and associate deans, as well as the Center for Design Practice, Center for Design Thinking, and Center for Race and Culture.

close window [x]
image
A faculty member participates in a collaborative painting in the Pinkard Gallery, in MICA's Bunting Center.
A class meets in the Pinkard Gallery in MICA's Bunting Center.
< >

Pinkard Gallery

1401 W. Mt. Royal Ave., first floor

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Saturday: 10am–5pm
  • Sunday: 12pm-5pm

Located in the Bunting Center, Walter D. Pinkard, Sr. Gallery is a venue for major group and solo exhibitions by faculty and visiting artists, as well as students. Major gifts from the Pinkard family's France-Merrick Foundation and Anne Pinkard added the third major gallery space to help accommodate the College's growing exhibition program. Pinkard Gallery was named in honor of longtime Trustee, Walter D. Pinkard Sr.

View more images of Bunting Center in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
The Sheila & Richard Riggs Gallery.
The Sheila & Richard Riggs Gallery.
Students, guests, faculty, and staff members gather for an exhibition in the Riggs Gallery.
< >

Sheila & Richard Riggs Gallery

131 W. North Ave., first floor

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Saturday: 10am–5pm
  • Sunday: 12pm–5pm (Closed major holidays)

The Sheila & Richard Riggs Gallery is located on the first floor of the newly renovated Fred Lazarus IV Center along North Avenue. It is designed to help energize the Station North Arts and Entertainment District through its use as a street-level, publically accessible gallery. It is named for long-serving MICA trustee Sheila Riggs and Richard Riggs in honor of their generous support to the College.

close window [x]
image
Sally's Garden is a quiet spot for reflection.
Sally's Garden is a quiet spot for reflection.
< >

Sally's Garden

Located along Mt. Royal Avenue next to the Office of Campus Safety, Sally's Garden is a plaza designed to be a retreat from the busy traffic of Mt. Royal Avenue and the hustle and bustle of campus life. Landscaped to engender feelings of serenity and tranquility, it is a place to relax and enjoy the outdoors. It was made possible through the support of alumna Doris Rief '86, a well-regarded Baltimore-based mixed media artist, in memory of her daughter Sally, who loved the outdoors.

close window [x]
image
School of Professional and Continuing Studies
School of Professional and Continuing Studies
< >

School for Professional and Continuing Studies

1229 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Known as "The Bungalow," 1229 W. Mt. Royal Avenue houses the offices of the School of Professional and Continuing Stuides, which administers MPS progams and the MBA/MA in Design Leadership program, in addition to non-credit courses for adults, children, and teenagers, like the summer Pre-College program and international study programs.

close window [x]
image
Outside of Spear Hall on a sunny day in Founders Green.
< >

Spear Hall

Hours of Operation

  • Sunday: 24 hours/day

Julia Spear introduced programming for women at the school, ensuring that they could receive a Maryland Institute education. Beyond pioneering education for women, Spear revolutionized MICA's curriculum and introduced many of the first significant fine arts classes and an arts education curriculum.

View more images of Founders Green in Browse Art

close window [x]
Office of Undergraduate Admission, located on the first floor of the Main Building.
Office of Undergraduate Admission, located on the first floor of the Main Building.
< >

Undergraduate Admission

1300 W. Mt. Royal Ave., first floor

Offices for Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid are located in the Main Building.

View more images of the Main Building in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
The Health and Wellness Center.
< >

Health and Wellness Center

1501 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Mondays–Thursdays: 7am–12am
  • Fridays: 7am–9pm
  • Saturdays: 9am–9am
  • Sundays: 11am–6pm

The MICA Health and Wellness Center is home to the Fitness Center, Student Health Services, Counseling Center, Student Development Specialist, and Health Education Programming. The Fitness Center hosts a variety of cardio and weight machines featuring treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, free-weights, showers, lockers, and a strength circuit as well as classrooms for group fitness.

close window [x]
image
Worthington Triangle
Worthington Triangle
< >

Worthington Triangle

1400 Cathedral St.

Worthington Triangle is named for Fred Worthington '57, member of MICA's Board of Trustees from 1969–2007. He was a MICA alumnus and Maryland-based designer who founded Fred E. Worthington Inc. His clients included Yale University, Columbia University, and dozens of others. He also headed MICA's Alumni Association in the late 1960's.

close window [x]
image
“Finally You Are Here” in the Brown Center's Graphic Design Department.
The Brown Center workspaces in a graphic design studio.
A Graphic Design student finishes a work in progress.
< >

Brown Center Studio Spaces

1301 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Weekdays: 7am–2am
  • Saturdays: 8am–2am
  • Sundays: 8am–3am

The Eddie C. and C. Sylvia Brown Center was built for design and time-based media programs, and houses classroom & studio space for Animation, Interaction Design and Art, Video and Film Arts, and both graduate & undergraduate Graphic Design programs. It is also home to a 525-seat auditorium, Falvey Hall, as well as Leidy Atrium, and Rosenberg Gallery. When it opened, Architectural Record called it "the finest modern building erected in Baltimore or Washington" in a quarter-century.

The Brown Center is named for Baltimore philanthropists and former MICA trustees Eddie and Sylvia Brown, the parents of MICA alumnus Tonya Ingersoll '02, herself a former trustee. Eddie Brown is the CEO of Brown Capital Management, one of the country's oldest African-American owned investment management firms with $5.3 billion in assets under management today. A television personality in the field of finance for 25 years, he was inducted into the Maryland Chamber of Commerce Hall of Fame in 2004. The Browns' gift to help construct Brown Center was one of the largest gifts to an educational institution by an African-American family in the country's history.

View more images of Brown Center in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Students share ideas in an Illustration studio in the Fox Building.
Illustration Department studios in the Fox Building.
A student searches for references for his next piece.
Illustration Department studios in the Fox Building.
Illustration Department studios in the Fox Building.
Illustration Department studios in the Fox Building.
< >

Fox Building Studios

1303 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Monday–Thursday: 7am–2am
  • Friday–Sunday: 8am–3am

The Charles James Fox Building is home to two large exhibition spaces: Decker Gallery and Meyerhoff Gallery. Additional gallery space is located on the second and third floors. Fox Building includes a wood shop, ceramics facilities, and studio space for illustration, environmental design, and Masters of Arts in Community Arts students. Classrooms for painting, foundation, illustration, drawing, and environmental design are located on the second, third, and fourth floors, in addition to classrooms for Center for Art Education programs located on the ground floor. It also houses Café Doris, which serves light meals and snacks.

Originally the Cannon Shoe Factory, The Fox Building is named for Charles James Fox '1884, MICA alumnus and grandfather of Al Decker, Jr. Decker, the long-time CEO of the Black and Decker company co-founded by his father, served as honorary chairman of the capital campaign that raised funds to purchase and renovate the building. Decker's mother, Fanny Fox Decker 1904, was also a MICA alumnus and large donor to the school.

close window [x]
image
A student takes a break from painting to do her academic homework.
Students convene to dicuss classes in a studio space, on the 2nd floor of the Fred Lazarus IV Center.
A student working in her studio.
Student uses a combination reference photos to complete her two-panel painting.
This student was caught off guard during a brief snack.
A watercolored work in progress.
< >

Fred Lazarus IV Center Studio Spaces

131 W. North Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Weekdays: 7am–2am (24 hr. grad access)
  • Saturdays: 8am–2am (24 hr. grad access)
  • Sundays: 8am–3am (24 hr. grad access)

Located along North Avenue, the Fred Lazarus IV Center is the hub of graduate student life at MICA. The 120,000-square-foot facility includes publicly accessible galleries, Nancy (café), an auditorium, multiple classrooms and conference areas, graduate admissions offices, and instructional space uniquely designed for students in the MFA in Curatorial Practice, LeRoy E. Hoffberger School of Painting, Mount Royal School of Art, and MFA in Photographic and Electronic Media programs. It also includes 177 studios, digital, computer, and photo labs, a fabrication workshop, and spray booths.

Other notable spaces include the Leidy Gallery on the lower level, the Sheila & Richard Riggs Gallery on the main floor, the France-Merrick Foundation Gallery on the 2nd Floor, the Alvin and Louise Myerberg Gallery on the 3rd floor, and the Fredye & Adam Gross Seminar Room, named for long-serving MICA trustee Fredye Gross and Adam Gross. In recognition of generous support from trustee Wendy Jachman and her sister Jennifer Myerberg, Alvin and Louise Meyerberg Gallery is named in memory of their parents, Baltimore businessman Alvin Meyerberg and Louise Meyerberg, herself a MICA student.

In addition to providing the facilities MICA needs to remain at the forefront of graduate art and design education, the building also promises to be a boon to the Station North Arts and Entertainment District. Once a challenged area of Baltimore, MICA's presence there has helped to revitalize the area and turn it into a vibrant community for both creative professionals and cultural enthusiasts. MICA celebrated the opening of the building with a VIP reception and a leadership dinner attended by Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley and United States Senator Ben Cardin.

close window [x]
image
The Gateway dormitories provide spacious communal studios for its residents.
Remnants of a long day in the studio. How many shades and tones of blue can you identify?
A work in progress hangs in one of Gateway's smaller, shared cubicle studios.
Our students have working styles that range from “Organized Chaos,” to “Everything has its place.”
< >

Gateway Studio Spaces

1601 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Sunday: 24 hours/day

The Gateway Residence Hall marks arrival both at MICA's campus and the nearby Station North Arts and Entertainment District, one of the first of its kind in the country. Gateway includes three and four bedroom student apartments as well as studio spaces on the second through seventh floors. Student Space Galleries are on the first floor across from the BBOX—a black box theater used for a wide range of performaning arts productions, including plays and musicals. Gateway Cafe, also located on the ground floor, serves light fare, beverages, and ice cream. The Joseph Meyerhoff Center for Career Development, located on the second floor of Gateway, is a one-stop resource for students preparing to transition into the professional world of art and design, alumni making a transition in their careers, and employers and institutions that would like to connect with MICA students and alumni.The Maryland Chapter of American Institute of Architects presented MICA with a 2009 Honor Award for excellence in design for the Gateway.

The third floor contains the open-air Rett Nearburg '07 Courtyard, where students can meet up, relax, or hold events. The courtyard is named for Rett Nearburg, a MICA student who counted his time at the College among his greatest life experiences, even as he fought to overcome illness in recognition of his life and support for the College from his parents, Dana Nearburg and longtime trustee Charles Nearburg.

View more images of The Gateway in Browse Art

Watch a video of The Gateway in The National Building Museum's House Home exhibition

close window [x]
image
< >

Leake Hall

Hours of Operation

  • Sunday: 24 hours/day

In 1963, Maryland Institute selected a Yale-trained painter, former Navy Captain Eugene W. "Bud" Leake to be president. His accomplishments include: the addition of the Mount Royal Station building to MICA's campus; the establishment of the LeRoy E. Hoffberger School of Painting, and Mount Royal School of Art, two flagship MFA programs; the recruitment of eventual Director of the LeRoy E. Hoffberger School of Painting Grace Hartigan onto the faculty; the hiring of the first full-time liberal arts faculty; the tripling of enrollment numbers; and the official transition from an institute to a fully accredited college. The new residence hall constructed along North Avenue has been named in his honor.

View more images of Founders Green in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
The skylights in the Main Building's studios provide a beautiful natural light source for our students.
Lunchtime stragglers work on their pieces under the skylight of one of the Main Building's studios.
Lunchtime stragglers work on their pieces under the skylight of one of the Main Building's studios.
Lunchtime stragglers work on their pieces under the skylight of one of the Main Building's studios.
The skylights in the Main Building's studios provide a beautiful natural light source for our students.
Our students present unique expressions of themselves though art and personal style.
The skylights in the Main Building's studios provide a beautiful natural light source for our students.
The skylights in the Main Building's studios provide a beautiful natural light source for our students.
< >

Main Building Studio Spaces

1300 W. Mt. Royal Ave.

Hours of Operation

  • Weekdays: 7am–11pm
  • Saturdays: 8am–11pm
  • Sundays: 9am–11pm

The Main Building houses the Office of Admission & Financial Aid, as well as the President's Office, the Office of Academic Affairs, the Foundation department and the Photography department, as well as studio space for painting and drawing classes. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It includes expansive studio classrooms, a student-run gallery, and darkrooms for photography processing. A scene featuring actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus in the pilot episode of HBO's Veep was filmed in Main Building.

View more images of the Main Building in Browse Art

close window [x]
image
Students gather during a class critique.
Students take a break for a good laugh in a Fiber Department studio space.
A student works thread through a loom.
< >

Mount Royal Station Studio Spaces

1400 Cathedral St.

Hours of Operation

  • Weekdays: 7am–2am (24 hr. Rinehart access)
  • Fridays and Sundays: 8am–3am (24 hr. Rinehart access)

Mount Royal Station houses the Middendorf Gallery, Rinehart School of Sculpture, and studio and classroom space for the foundation, interdisciplinary sculpture, and fiber departments. Mount Royal Station's facilities for students include a metalworking foundry, weaving loft with large-scale looms, dye kitchen, and silkscreen exposure unit.The building was originally built in 1896 as a B&O passenger train station. It is an official historic landmark, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. It was also declared an official project of Save America's Treasures in 2005. The New York Times called MICA's acquisition and renovation of the building "one of the country's earliest adaptive reuses of an historic property." In its heyday as a train station, U.S. presidents including Wilson, Coolidge, Hoover, FDR, and Eisenhower stopped through on their way to and from Washington, DC.

View more images of Mount Royal Station in Browse Art