There are five fields of study in the minors program of the Humanistic Studies Department: literary studies, creative writing, gender studies, culture and politics, and critical theory. Students minoring in Humanistic Studies must elect one of these fields and then meet the following requirements:
- Secure an appropriate Humanisitic Studies departmental faculty member as a minor advisor.
- In consultation with the minor advisor, successfully complete 18 credits of study in the minor field. Minor field courses are those courses identified by the Humanistic Studies department as satisfying the minor requirements for each of the five minor fields listed above. Each field has specific courses approved for minor study in that field.
- Successfully complete an approved thesis in the minor field under the direction of the minor advisor.
|Course Title||Course #||Credits|
|Critical Inquiry foundation requirement||LA 101||3|
|Minor Field Courses (selected from courses which also fulfill the Literature Elective I and II and General Academic Elective I HS core requirements)||9|
|Additional Minor Field Courses||6|
Total Humanistic Studies Minor Field Credits: 18
Additional Provisions of the Humanistic Studies Minor
- Students must register for a Humanistic Studies minor with minors coordinator Jennifer Wallace, Bunting 439 (email@example.com) no later than the end of the registration period of the spring semester of the foundation year.
- Transfer students must declare their intention to pursue a Humanistic Studies minor (contact Jennifer Wallace) within the first four weeks of their first semester in attendance at MICA. Admission to the Humanistic Studies minors program for transfers is granted on a case-by-case basis.
- Courses eligible for the satisfaction of minor field requirements must bear the designation as such, assigned by the department. No substitutions permitted.
- Registration for any course to be used to fulfill minor requirements must have the prior approval of the minor advisor.
- The minor advisor must approve the satisfaction of all minor requirements before the minor is awarded. This includes successful completion of the minor thesis.
- Every student pursuing an Humanistic Studies minor must meet with her/his minor advisor at least once a semester.
Coursework for the minor must be completed no later than the end of the penultimate semester in attendance at MICA. Normally this would be the first semester of the senior year. The minor thesis requirement must be completed by the end of the final semester in attendance, normally the second semester of the senior year.