Students, staff & faculty can login to access personalized content.

Parent & Guardian Access is located here.

Forgot your password?

MICA in Japan

The Program

In conjunction with CET Academic Programs, MICA/AICAD students can study abroad in Osaka, Japan. The first part of the program is based at Osaka Gakuin University and offers intensive language and culture. Students are required to take Japanese at any level and do not need prior experience to participate in the program. The study of Japanese language and culture will prepare students for studio arts classes, which they will take at MICA's partner institution, Osaka University of Arts. CET provides support to students through orientation upon arrival, housing, and integration into the local culture through cultural activities and field trips.  

Students live in furnished apartments near Osaka Gakuin Univesity and commute to Osaka University of Arts for studio classes. Students prepare meals in their apartments.  Please note that the spring semester runs from January to late June/early July.  Because the spring semester is longer, housing costs are also higher.  Costs are discussed during advising, as well as a considerable commute to Osaka University of Arts.

More information regarding the AICAD in Japan program can be found by visiting the CET website.  Please note students must follow MICA application instructions and deadlines, as they must be approved by MICA first.  Please do not follow the instructions or deadlines found on the CET website.

CLICK HERE to read a blog post written by spring 2013 AICAD in Japan participant, Lindsay Iredale to learn more about what it's like to be a student in Japan.


Students are required to take 9 credits of intensive Japanese language and culture. In addition, they will take 1 to 2 studio art classes. Students can choose from the following studio art classes that are typically taught in English at Osaka University of Arts: animation, print making, glass, fiber, and ceramics. Other classes at Osaka University of Arts may be available depending on a student's Japanese level.  Students will learn this information upon arrival in Japan.

Elibigility and Applying

Students must have a 3.0 GPA and junior standing during the semester they wish to go abroad. Students must also attend a required group advising session and turn in all application materials by the appropriate deadline.

Please refer to the Application Process section of this website for details regarding group advising sessions and application procedures.  We strongly recommend that students start planning for study abroad one year (i.e. two semesters) in advance.


International Affairs discusses external study abroad scholarships and financial planning for study abroad during the required group advising session. Please visit the External Scholarship section of our website for further information and a handout on External Scholarships. Early planning is the key to applying for scholarships! Please read through the list to see if you are eligible!  If you are a Pell Grant recipient, you are eligible for a Gilman Scholarship. In addition, there are a few scholarships specifically for study abroad in Japan and/or Asian countries (i.e. Bridging Scholarship and the Freeman-Asia Award). Don't miss out!

International Affairs also recommends that you meet with us so we can help you with your proposals and statements for external scholarships.