Students, staff & faculty can login to access personalized content.

Parent & Guardian Access is located here.

Forgot your password?

Frequently Asked Questions


Please be sure to read through the other pages and sections on our website for more detailed information.

When can I go abroad?

You can study abroad during your junior year. It is sometimes possible to study abroad second semester of sophomore year or first semester of senior year.

What are the requirements to study abroad?

You need to be a junior when you will study abroad (in general) and have a 3.0 GPA. In addition, you also need to attend a required Group Advising Session and complete all the necessary application materials by the appropriate deadline.

Where can I study abroad?

If you are interested in a MICA summer program, please visit the Summer Travel Intensives site. MICA Summer Travel Intensives are managed by the School for Continuing and Professional Studies. Sites include Italy, Greece, and Nicaragua.

If you are interested in semester study abroad, please be sure to visit the Study Abroad Programs page. All semester programs are managed by International Affairs. We have programs in over 30 countries. Sites include France, Australia, Italy, Indonesia, Denmark, and Japan. Students cannot choose programs that are not represented in MICA's portfolio of programs.

How much does study abroad cost?

Summer program costs will vary depending on the length and location of the program. A 3-4 week program might range from $4500-$6500.

For all MICA semester programs, you will pay MICA tuition directly to MICA. You will be charged directly for housing and possibly other program fees. In addition, you will be responsible for travel, local transportation, personal expenses, and visa expenses.

What is the difference between a study abroad program and an exchange program?

Study abroad programs are semester programs that are often geared toward American or international students. An example of a MICA study abroad program is the SACI program in Italy. Study abroad programs typically include well-developed resources, staff, and support systems that students are used to having here in the United States. Often, there are field trips and cultural activities included as part of the program, too. Study abroad programs also often have an American credit system.

A direct exchange program is a program where you would attend a host institution just as someone from that country would. This means that you would need to be independent and motivated because things will be very different from what you are used to. It will be your job to learn as much as you can about how the school operates, how faculty teach and interact with students, how the program is organized, and what is expected of students there.

When you research programs, look into both types of programs and see what might work for you. And, of course, come talk to us for help and advice when you are narrowing down your program choices.

How do you get credit for taking classes abroad?

If you want to study abroad on semester or non-MICA summer program, you must fill out an application by the appropriate deadline.  As part of the application, you will fill out a Course Approval Form and obtain approval from department chairs for courses you wish to take abroad. As long as you have prior approval, you can get credit for courses taken abroad. Of course, you also have to pass the class when you go abroad! For all programs, except SACI and the New York Studio Program, as long as you get a C abroad, you will receive a P for Pass on your MICA transcript. For SACI and New York, you receive letter grades.

Please be sure to read through our Policies and Expectations page for more  information.

If you are on a leave of absence, you cannot obtain credit for courses taken abroad.