Students, staff & faculty can login to access personalized content.

Parent & Guardian Access is located here.

Forgot your password?

Semester Study Abroad

MICA offers students a wide array of study abroad opportunities, including MICA's honors program in Italy, exchange partnerships and affiliated programs at more than 30 institutions abroad, and domestic exchange options at more than 30 institutions in North America. See the "Study Abroad Programs" section of this website for specific program information.

Eligibility Requirements 

  • Junior standing during the semester abroad. Exceptions: First-semester seniors and advanced second-semester sophomores are also eligible with department chair approval for some programs.
  • Minimum cumulative 3.0 grade point average.
  • Attendance at a required group study abroad advising session.   Group advising will run on most Wednesdays from 2:30-3:30pm in Brown 413 during the spring 2014 semester. You do not need to sign up.  The advising schedule is subject to change.
  • Individual meeting with International Affairs.
  • Completion of all application materials by the appropriate deadline .

Please note that students must submit all required application materials accurately by the appropriate deadline and meet the criteria for study abroad or their applications will not be considered.  Students can only apply for one program and participate in study abroad for one semester.  Please make your choice carefully and be sure to plan financially for study abroad.

There is no guarantee that MICA can or will approve your applicaion.  Some programs have limited space and/or can be competitive.  All decisions will be made after the deadline within 3 to 4 weeks.  If approved by MICA, MICA will send your application to the host institution or program and they will make the final decision.  If MICA approves your application, you may have additional paperweork and/or application materials to complete.

Please be aware that MICA has no control over the duration of the host institutions' acceptance processes.  Many reach decisions within several weeks or a month; however others, particularly direct exchange programs, may take longer.

Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid

Students on all semester study abroad programs pay MICA tuition (without fees) directly to MICA and pay no tuition at the host school. Students are responsible for all other expenses (e.g., travel, housing, meals, health insurance, studio fees), some of which may be required and billed by the host institution. If the host program's tuition is greater than that of MICA, the student will pay the difference. Students are responsible for researching fully their prospective program's policies and procedures, including costs, prior to enrollment. 

MICA students with MICA scholarships or financial aid will be able to use their award (except work-study) for their approved MICA study abroad program. These students must maintain full-time status while abroad (taking the equivalent of 12 or more U.S. credits) and maintain standards of financial aid satisfactory academic progress in order to meet the award renewal requirements. Students on study abroad are eligible to participate in MICA's annual competitive scholarship process.

All financial matters must be up to date with MICA's Office of Student Accounts before an application for study abroad will be approved, and student accounts must be settled prior to departure. Questions about accounts should be directed to the Office of Student Accounts 410-225-2211.


Students must be registered through MICA's Office of International Affairs for study abroad status to be eligible to earn credit from a program abroad. Specifically, students must:

  1. Attend an approved study abroad program through MICA's Office of International Affairs.
  2. Obtain approval for courses abroad from the appropriate MICA department chair(s) using the Course Approval Form.
  3. Submit required forms to the Office of International Affairs prior to departure.
  4. Receive at least a "C" for most programs in order to receive a Pass grade on your transcript.  For SACI and the New York Studio Residency Program, students earn letter grades that go into their GPA.
  5. Arrange to have an official transcript sent directly from the host institution to the Office of International Affairs.

Course Approval Process

Students are responsible for working with their advisor and department chair to understand how the course credit will fulfill degree requirements and to obtain the required course approvals prior to study abroad. As part of the application process, students will complete the Course Approval Form to determine how credits earned at the host institution will be applied in their MICA degree plan.

The credit approval process is discussed in detail during the required group advising session, as well as during orientation. The process is also outlined in our Study Abroad Handbook. The Study Abroad Handbook and a blank Course Approval form can be found under Resources and Forms on our website.

Many students will know their course schedules ahead of time, but students on several direct exchange programs may not know their exact schedules until they arrive abroad. Therefore, we advise students to have as many potential courses pre-approved as possible, which will provide maximum flexibility when finalizing the schedule once abroad. In addition, if students need additional course approvals when they arrive abroad due to schedule or course changes, they must seek approval from the appropriate department chair via email and copy International Affairs during the start of the semester. Students should not wait until they return to campus to obtain course approvals.

At the end of the semester abroad, upon receipt of a student's official transcript from the host institution, International Affairs will automatically apply "studio elective" credit to the student's degree plan for all studio courses passed. If students would like their studio work abroad to fulfill a more specific requirement in their degree plan (for example, a "photography elective," "painting elective," etc., or a specific course such as "Typography I", etc.), then students will need approval (on the Course Approval Form) from the chair of MICA studio department for which the credit will be earned.

Art history electives require approval from chairs of the LLC and Art History departments. Exceptions not requiring approval on the Course Approval Form are academic electives and art history electives at SACI, Burren, and the NYSP, which have been pre-approved by the LLC and AH chairs; International Affairs can automatically apply credit to students' degree plans for academic and art history electives passed on these three programs.

While abroad, students should document the work they complete to ensure proper awarding of credit, as some department chairs may wish to review work for certain courses upon a student's return to MICA.

Credits Abroad

Credit systems vary throughout the world and it is important to understand how the credit systems abroad relate to the credit system at MICA. Credit conversions cannot be changed or altered.  It is a student's responsibilty to research how the credit system works at their respective host institutions and programs so they can adhere to MICA's policies and understand how courses taken abroad will count toward graduation.   In researching programs abroad, consider the following transfer systems:

European Credit Transfer System (ECTS)

Many universities throughout Europe use the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). 2 ECTS credits are equivalent to 1 MICA credit. Students studying abroad at universities that use ECTS should take about 30 ECTS credits per semester in order to maintain adequate progress toward their MICA degree. (A minimum of 24 ECTS credits is required to maintain full-time status.)

United Kingdom

At most British universities, students take about 60 UK credits per semester. 4 UK credits are equivalent to 1 MICA credit. Students studying at universities in the UK should take 60 UK credits per semester in order to maintain adequate progress toward their MICA degree. (A minimum of 48 UK credits is required to maintain full-time status.)

Other Locations

Students participating in programs elsewhere in the world should consult with International Affairs to discuss the credit system at their host institution.

Study abroad credit is not transfer credit, so students who transferred to MICA or who are seniors may be eligible to study abroad if they meet all other eligibility requirements.

Note that some study abroad programs may have credit limits. For example, some partner institutions in the United Kingdom may have short (e.g., 12 week) terms for which a MICA student can earn a maximum of 12 credits.


On most programs, grades earned abroad are not included in a student’s MICA grade point average, and only the credit values are recorded on the MICA transcript. Nonetheless, students may be asked to submit their study abroad transcript when they apply to graduate or professional schools, which will certainly take the study abroad grades into consideration when evaluating an application.

MICA's honors program at SACI in Florence and the New York Studio Program are exceptions: All grades from these programs are recorded on the MICA transcript and are included in participants' grade point averages at MICA.

Please contact the Office of International Affairs with any questions about academics and study abroad.

Passports and Visas

All students intending to study abroad must have a valid passport before leaving the U.S. Passport applications are available from many U.S. post offices. Be sure to allow at least six to eight weeks for processing. Students planning to study in certain countries may also be required to obtain a visa prior to departure. Paperwork for visa applications will often be supplied by the host institution after acceptance or can be obtained through the country's embassy or consulate in the U.S. See the "Pre-departure Information" page for more information on passports and visas.