Information visualization involves the creation and use of images and visual strategies to identify, access, analyze, and problem-solve various scientific, engineering, technological, planning, and artistic /design problems. MICA's MPS in Information Visualization (MPS InViz) is first program of its kind offered by an art college that will allow students from a variety of fields to translate their existing skills to the visualization industry.
The MPS InViz is an intensive, 30-credit degree earned over 14 months. The program curriculum is delivered entirely online in synchronous and asynchronous class sessions and intensives, which are enhanced by three brief on-campus residencies designed to provide students with the opportunity to engage in practicum sessions with program faculty and invited industry professionals.
Developed specifically for professionals in fields where the management of complex data through visualization is essential--including architecture, urban planning, homeland security, strategic planning, health, social networks, and more -- the program's educational objectives are to provide students with the critical knowledge and skills needed in:
Visualization and Design
- Understanding of visualization theory and principles;
- Working knowledge of information design;
- Working knowledge of visual user interface design; and
- Understanding of socio-cultural, political, and economic contexts of visualization.
Science and Technology of Visualization
- Understanding of visual perception and cognition;
- Working knowledge of visualization software and hardware;
- Working knowledge of scientific concepts and principles of visualization; and
- Working knowledge of statistical analysis and data mining for visualization.
- Working knowledge of chosen area/field of visualization application; and
- Understanding of principles of translating data/information to accessible visual forms.
The MPS InViz faculty represent a range of disciplines including visual strategy and analysis; graphic design; interactive design; and industry-specific research and development.
Ideal candidates for the MPS InViz program will have:
- A strong interest in analyzing and communicating multivariate information and data sets;
- A desire to think critically and creatively about information and data;
- A desire to translate information and data into visual narratives;
- An ability to work collaboratively in problem solving; and
- An ability to commit to an intensive learning experience.