College's involvement featured in multiple Washington Post stories
Posted 09.09.11 by MICA Communications
- Special Events
- Art History, Theory, and Criticism Alumni
- Interdisciplinary Sculpture Alumni
- Hoffberger School of Painting
- Mt. Royal School of Art
- Rinehart School of Sculpture
- Undergraduate Students
MICA and its faculty, alumni and students take part in the inaugural (e)merge art fair, celebrating galleries, artists and the creative process with an energetic environment of collaboration and discovery. The fair takes place September 22-25 in Washington, D.C. at the Capitol Skyline Hotel, which is within blocks of the U.S. Capitol Building.
(e)merge features over 80 international exhibitors in two platforms: GALLERY PLATFORM - for galleries and nonprofit art spaces to show in the Hotel rooms on designated floors and ARTIST PLATFORM - for artists who are not represented, (e)merge will provide exhibition space, free of charge, for vetted works in various media (throughout the Hotel's public areas and grounds).
Faculty, staff and current students participating at the MICA booth, coordinated by the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations and curated by faculty member Kimberly Gladfelter Graham, include:
- Ben Lock, faculty
- Timothy Thompson '11 (Rinehart School of Sculpture)
- Copycat Theater Collective--Pilar Diaz '10 (art history, theory and criticism), Monica Mirabile '11 (interdisciplinary sculpture), José Corona '09 (painting), Sam Shea '10 (fiber) and Person Ablach '11 (fiber)
- Chang Park, current student
Individual alumni in (e)merge include:
- Becky Alprin '08 (Mount Royal School of Art)
- Calder Brannock '10 (Rinehart School of Sculpture)
- Free Space Collective founded by Billy Friebele '08 (M.F.A. in Studio Art) and Michael Dax Iacovone '09 (M.F.A. in Studio Art)
- Steven Jones '00 (Rinehart School of Sculpture) and faculty member
- Katherine Mann '09 (Hoffberger School of Painting) and faculty member
- Beverly Ress '83 (Rinehart School of Sculpture) and faculty member
Alumni participating in (e)merge through galleries include:
- Jordan Faye Contemporary--Kate MacKinnon '03 (Mount Royal School of Art) and Lori Larusso '05 (Mount Royal School of Art)
- Conner Contemporary Art--Ali Miller '12 (Hoffberger School of Painting)
For more information on (e)merge, visit its website here.
Image captions: (top to bottom) Ben Lock (MICA Faculty), "Rubber Burner"; The Copycat Theater Collective, "The Queens Game."