Independent Filmmaker Project has been working with two MICA-affiliated films through its Independent Filmmaker Labs program
Posted 01.01.12 by mica communications
This past year, Independent Filmmaker Project (IFP) has been working with two MICA-affiliated films through its Independent Filmmaker Labs program--the only program in the world currently supporting first-time feature directors in post-production to complete, market, and distribute their films.
IFP is no stranger to MICA-related films. The nonprofit organization supported the production of and facilitated industry connections for Music By Prudence, a film produced with support from MICA's faculty, alumni, students, and Office of Research that went on to win an Oscar in 2010 in the documentary short subject category.
Both of the current MICA-related, IFP-supported films took root at the College itself. As director and producer Lotfy Nathan '09 explained about his project, The Twelve O'Clock Boyz, "MICA is where the film was born. The College allowed me to cross disciplines quite easily. I had access to the equipment I needed, and of course, the talents of other MICA students to utilize. Now, working closely with [Video and Film Arts Chair] Patrick Wright on the film is a great privilege and perhaps the best example of MICA's resources being available beyond the life of the institution. I'm very grateful for that."
Preview Lofty Nathan's movie, The Twelve O'Clock Boyz:
Though he was a painting major, Nathan embraced MICA's interdisciplinary culture and decided to pursue filmmaking. He took his efforts further after faculty member Kirsten D'Andrea Hollander and Wright showed enthusiasm about The Twelve O'Clock Boyz in Hollander's documentary class. This year the film received an additional accolade through the Garrett Scott Documentary Development Grant.
Hollander has her own film, Us Naked: Trixie and Monkey, in the IFP program. She shared that her position at MICA connected her with the community of video students, faculty, and alumni necessary for her support system, as well as a pool of talent to make up her crew. And now Hollander's role in the classroom has reversed as she feels like a graduate student again while "learning the ropes of how to release a feature film into the world" through festival-based premieres, national and international television broadcasts, and digital platforms.
Watch the trailer for Us Naked: Trixie & Monkey:
Through IFP connections, the films have gotten the attention of HBO, CBC News Network of Canada, and Tribeca Enterprises. Both Nathan and Hollander are in IFP-brokered meetings with high profile film festivals and television networks to discuss exciting negotiations for their documentaries. Learn more about the IFP-supported projects at ifp.org.
Synopses and MICA Community Credits
The Twelve O'Clock Boyz
In Baltimore, an illegal dirt bike group converges from all corners of the city and takes to the streets. They are called The Twelve O'Clock Boyz. Pug, a young child growing up in a combative West Baltimore neighborhood, finds solace in the group.
• Director and Producer: Lotfy Nathan '09
• Editor: Patrick Wright (video and film arts chair)
• Assistant Editor: Nisha Ramnath '10
• Additional Videographers: Larry Jackson (student), Paul Slupski (student), and Ian Scott '10
Us Naked: Trixie and Monkey
Lovers and business partners Trixie and Monkey aren't satisfied being underground burlesque stars. Relentlessly refining their sexy and fearless acrobatic shenanigans, they endure life on the road, performing everywhere from Baltimore rocks clubs to Vegas casinos to Off-Broadway in New York. Visit usnakedthemovie.com for more information.
• Director, Cinematography, Lead Editor, and Co-Producer: Kirsten D'Andrea Hollander (foundation and video and film arts faculty)
• Co-Producer and Cinematographer: Scot Hollander '87
• Assistant Editor and Cinematographer: Kata Frederick '09
• Consulting Editor: Patrick Wright (video and film arts chair)
• Additional Cinematography: Lotfy Nathan '09, Scott Lowe '09, Cinnamon Triano (student), and Larry Jackson (student)
• Location Sound Recording: Matt Davies '09
• Animated Text Design for Trailer: Tyler Hach (student)
• Sound Studio Recording: Jon Bevers (staff and faculty)
• Web Designer: Hector Leiva '08 '11
• Graphic Designer for Us Naked Logo: Jinhwan Kim (student)