Students, staff & faculty can login to access personalized content.

Parent & Guardian Access is located here.

Forgot your password?

Frequently Asked Questions

As follows are some Frequently Asked Questions for new and transfer students to MICA. If you have any questions that are not answered in this section, please contact the Student Activities Office at 410-225-2284 or email us at

We hope the answers below will help ease your transition to Baltimore and keep you on track for your arrival at Graduate Orientation.

Though we've had beautiful weather for Orientation the last few years, Baltimore weather can get pretty muggy in late August. Be prepared to take part in activities that will have you walking around campus. Wear comfortable shoes.

If you have any questions that are not answered in this section, contact the Graduate Studies Office at (410) 225-5274 or

Should I attend the Graduate International Orientation, Sunday August 25th?

All MFA. MA and Post-Baccalaureate F1-Visa students must attend this Sunday session from 8:30am - 1pm in addition to programming on August 26th and 27th.

What if I am unable to attend all of the Orientation sessions?

Orientation is mandatory. There is a tremendous amount of information provided to you at each session including the chance to ask questions and meet key staff. If you are unable to attend any of the scheduled Orientation sessions, notify the Office of Graduate Studies, (410) 225-5274 as soon as possible.

How do I get to MICA?

See Visit MICA for driving directions and local transit, as well accommodations and restaurant options in near MICA’s campus. Be mindful that parking around the Graduate Studio Center is limited to city street, metered parking. If driving to campus for Orientation, we recommend parking in either MICA’s Station Lot or in the Bolton Hill or Station North communities. Shuttles will loop from Station Building to the Graduate Studio Center every few minutes starting at 8:30am until the start of the morning session.

Do I need to register and/or pay a fee to attend Orientation?

All new students pay a mandatory one time Orientation fee, which has already been charged to your student account with your tuition. You will NOT need to pay any additional fees related to Orientation upon arrival.

What is Graduate Convocation, August 26th?

Graduate Convocation, is an evening celebration for the incoming graduate community with presentations from graduate alumni, Doreen Bolger, Director, Baltimore Museum of Art, guest artists, and a keynote address from the Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Studies.

How do I sign up to be a Graduate Teaching Intern?

Incoming Graduate Students will be give the opportunity to sign up for internships as a group the week of Graduate Orientation. All students will meet Stacey Salazar, Program Coordinator, to learn more about the Graduate Teaching Internship program; placement and assessment procedures, typical work schedule and expectations. The session will also cover the requirements by which MFA students can earn The Certificate in College Teaching of Art and enrollment in the Graduate Liberal Arts course Philosophy and Pedagogy of Post- secondary Visual Arts Education, a seminar course designed to provide a better understanding of the open questions that exist within contemporary studio art education.

When do I register for classes? Who can I talk with questions about registration?

Incoming MFA, MA and Post-Baccalaureate students can begin to register on July 1. The Office of Graduate Studies is available to assist you in the enrollment process. You may schedule an appointment by calling (410) 225-5121 or email You may also contact your graduate director for advice about specific courses.

Students can choose from dozens of liberal arts graduate or undergraduate courses offered through MICA. View the full Fall 2013 schedule of courses at

Students may also take liberal arts courses offered through Johns Hopkins University or other surrounding schools through the Baltimore Student Exchange Program. Professional internships may also be substituted for liberal arts elective credit with permission from your program director.

Contact Patrick Stewart, Graduate Student Advisor, at with any questions regarding enrollment or eligible liberal arts courses.

Enrollment in Elective Courses:
Enrollment procedures are different for graduate and undergraduate courses. Graduate students can enroll directly for graduate courses via MICA’s online enrollment system. Undergraduate courses that have prerequisites are enrolled through the Office of Graduate Studies. Check to see if the course you want has open seats. If so, email the course instructor to request permission. Forward the approval to Patrick Stewart,, to complete your enrollment.

Should my Spouse or Family plan on attending Orientation with me?

Unfortunately, Graduate Orientation sessions and activities are not recommended for families or spouses. However, spouses and families are welcome to join you at any of the optional events including DuckPin Bowling Night, Wednesday, August 28th!

What is a MICARD and how do I get one?

The MICARD is a single card used for student identification, access to campus buildings, meal plans, and to make purchases on campus at the College Store, vending machines, Decker Library, post office and print lab, or to purchase food at any campus dining location.

To receive your ID Card promptly at Graduate Orientation:
Submit a digital photo by Friday, August 2nd to Using a digital camera, take a color photo of yourself against a solid background. Send the photo as a jpeg attachment, along with your name and the name of your program. Students who submit a digital image by the deadline, August 2nd, will be entered in a drawing to win a $50 gift certificate to the MICA College Store.


How to create a MICARD Flex Account?

Visit to sign up and add funds to your MICARD. It is a great tool to help you with fast and easy reviews of flex and meal balances remaining, adding funds, and even with the reporting and deactivation of lost cards.

Meal Plan Options:
Meal service at MICA is provided by Parkhurst Dining Services, including vegetarian and vegan options, fresh side dishes, soups, salads and homemade desserts. Students can use their meal plans at Meyerhoff Dining Hall and Café Doris. Five meal options are offered daily. Unused block meals will be forfeited at the end of each semester. Dining Dollars carry over from fall to spring semester but are forfeited at the end of the academic year.

200 Meal Plan @ $1,640 / semester
14 meals / week
(with $50 Dining Dollars)

150 Meal Plan @ $1,380 / semester
10 meals / week
(with $100 Dining Dollars)

100 Meal Plan @ $1,110 / semester
7 meals / week
(with $100 Dining Dollars)

75 Meal Plan @ $835 / semester
5 meals / week
(with $50 Dining Dollars)

When can I move into my studio?

Move-In begins Wednesday, August 28th. Additional activities specific to your graduate area, including studio assignments, will be planned into your Orientation Week prior to Studio Move-In.

What if I have questions about my housing situation?

Students looking for off-campus housing resources and options should visit the Residence Life website. Additionally, the Office of Graduate Admission maintains a Google Group for incoming and current grad students looking for roommates and housing off-campus. Contact to join the graduate housing google group.

Can I bring my pet onto campus?

Before bringing your pet to campus, you must register by presenting the following forms, which will be kept on file. Please bring them in person along with your pet to the EHS office in the Firehouse. A photo will be taken of your pet for MICA records.

  • Veterinarian Verification Form as proof that your pet is up-to-date on all inoculations
  • Current rabies certificate, which must be kept on file and updated as needed
  • Signed pet waiver

Once the registration process is complete, a MICA Pet ID tag will be assigned to your pet and must be displayed on the pet at all times while on campus. No pet will be allowed on campus without an ID tag.

My neighborhood has permitted parking, how do I obtain a permit?

To be eligible for a Baltimore City parking permit you must reside within the boundaries of that particular area. You must show required proof of residency, typically a signed lease. Participation in the program is limited to residents only. The permit increases the chances of finding a parking space but does not guarantee one.