Winter Closing Information
Please review the information below and contact the Office of Residence Life if you have any questions, email@example.com or 410-225-2398.
Good luck on your finals and have a wonderful winter break!
24 hour Quiet Hours will start on Friday, Dec. 7th at 11:00pm. Please be courteous during finals. Be respectful of your neighbors and roommates who are taking exams and finishing projects by keeping noise levels to a minimum. This policy will strictly be enforced. If you are unable to abide by this policy, disciplinary action may result.
Winter Break Closing - General Info:
- All MICA Housing will close Sunday, December 16th at 12:00 noon.
- All residents (Commons, Mount Royal, Meyerhoff, and Gateway) must vacate during Winter Break, from December 16, 2012 until Saturday, January 19, 2013.
- Students must leave housing 24 hours after the last day of their exams.
- A $100 late checkout fee will be assessed to individuals who move out after the designated vacate time of 12:00 noon on Sunday, December 16th. Each additional hour will result in an additional $50 late fee.
- You may leave belongings in your apartment over break. However, you are encouraged to take your valuable items home. We recommend that students carry renter's insurance to cover the possible event of unexpected damage to items in their apartments. The College is not responsible for any loss or damage to items in your apartment.
- Re-admittance into the residential facilities will not be allowed. Please take all critical items home with you including prescription medications, keys, driver's license, passport, pet fish, cell phones/chargers, etc.
- The Office of Residence Life does not offer winter storage. If you are seeking storage over break, please feel free to call the Residence Life office, we can assist you.
- Parking over break: Students with valid parking permits will be permitted to leave vehicles in the Common's lot during Winter break. If you have any questions regarding Winter Break parking please contact Campus Safety Administrative Assistant, Danielle Bowly at (410-225-2355).
- MICA Housing will re-open Saturday January 19th at 9:00am.
Checking Out of Housing:
- If you are planning on leaving your current assignment permanently - you must contact the Office of Residence Life immediately to arrange approval and schedule a formal check-out. This includes moving to another space on campus, returning home for the next semester, transferring schools, moving off campus, etc. Failure to properly check out could result in a fine of up to $150.00.
- If you do not plan on returning to your on-campus assignment for the spring semester you may be financially liable for spring housing costs. You must contact your Residential Coordinator (Alex Tsikerdanos for the Commons, Jessica Bard for The Gateway and Mount Royal and Jason Jackson for the Meyerhoff House) or the Office of Residence Life immediately to discuss your contractual housing obligations. All contract releases must receive prior approval from the Director of Housing.
- Requests to move to a different space on campus must be pre approved by the Office of Residence Life. Moving without permission may result in disciplinary action, monetary fine and forced relocation to your original assignment. We are willing to work with you to help you find a different space on campus. The earlier you contact us the more likely we can honor your request. Requests late in the semester are difficult to fulfill.
- Each community will host a closing meeting where all the necessary information will be available. If you have any initial questions or concerns please check with your RA or feel free to contact your Residential Coordinator (Alex Tsikerdanos for the Commons, Jessica Bard for The Gateway and Mount Royal and Jason Jackson for the Meyerhoff House) or contact the Office of Residence Life, firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-225-2398 if you have questions.
A shuttle will be available to take MICA students to BWI airport. The shuttle is free of charge, and is available on a first come, first serve basis. The shuttle will leave from the Commons at the below listed dates and times.
If the times and dates listed cannot accommodate your departure schedule you may contact:
Baltimore Airport Shuttle- (410-821-5387)
BWI Airport Information-(410-859-7100)
- Thursday, December 13, 2012
8 am, 10 am, 12 noon, 2 pm, 4 pm
- Friday, December 14, 2012
8 am, 10 am, 12 noon, 2 pm, 4 pm
- Saturday, December 15, 2012
8 am, 10 am, 12 noon, 2 pm, 4 pm
- Sunday, December 16, 2012
8 am, 10 am, 12 noon (final shuttle departure)
Thank you for your cooperation and hope you all have enjoyed your semester with us.
Safe travels and Happy Holidays!
Spring Closing Information
It's hard to believe summer is right around the corner. We are almost there! We hope everyone has had a fun and productive semester. As students begin to prepare for finals, 24 hour quiet hours will begin May 9th at 11pm and continue until commencement ceremonies are completed. Please read the information below as it will help you to have a smooth move-out and avoid unnecessary charges.
- Housing officially closes on Sunday, May 12th at noon.
- The only exceptions for our move out time are those students who are participating in commencement or are assigned on campus housing for the summer.
- We ask that all students plan to move out 24 hours after their last assignment or by 12pm on May 12th, whatever comes first. This helps with the flow of students moving out of the residential buildings and helps to manage noise levels as students finish up and are ready to let off some steam.
- Any student who has not been previously approved that is still here after our posted closing time (May 12, at 12pm) will be charged a late fee of $100 for the first hour and $50 each additional hour. Please plan ahead. It may take you longer to pack than you expect.
- Closing Meetings - Your RA will be arranging a closing meeting to take place in your community. They will provide you with all the necessary information to ensure a smooth check out.
Below you will find some helpful reminders;
- Complete the damage declaration sheet with your roommates (explained in detail during the closing meeting).
- Complete the change of address form, available online at www.usps.com. All mail will be returned to sender after you move out unless you complete the form to have mail redirected to your summer address.
- Clean your apartment completely (a check list will be provided during the closing meeting).
- Each person must check out (either express or regular check out). Check out times available at the front desk.
- Return your keys. Each student must return an apartment key, mail key, and/or studio key (if this has not already been collected). Please keep your ID card and exchange it when you return for the fall semester for an updated version of your MICA ID card.
Checking Out of Housing
There are two options for checking out of your room, express check out or regular check out.
- Express Checkout - The express checkout option is quick and simple, available at anytime. When you are ready to check out, all of your belongings are packed up and your room is empty, stop by the front desk and ask for an express check out envelope. Fill out the information, place your room and mail keys inside, sign and seal the envelope. Residential Life staff will check your room for damages in your absence. Express checkout will be available and posted hours are at the front desk.
- Choosing the express checkout option waives your right to appeal any damages assessed during your room inspection.
- Regular Checkout - Residential Assistants will be available during various times throughout the day. Hours for regular checkout are posted at your residence hall front desk. After you have packed up all of your belongings and your room is empty, please come to the front desk and add your name to the check out list. When your name is next, the RA will check the room with you to discuss damages and collect your keys. Please plan ahead. The regular checkout option will only be available during the hours that are posted. Please contact your RA if you have questions.
- Congratulations to our graduating seniors! Seniors and those participating in commencement will need to check out by Monday, May 20th before 5pm at the Meyerhoff or Gateway front desks. Mount Royal residents should check out at the Gateway front desk. Seniors are not to check out with a residence life staff member. Please leave your keys in an express check out envelope (provided at the desk) and we will check your room later that day.
BWI Airport Shuttles
A shuttle will be available to take MICA students to BWI airport. The shuttle is free to students and is available on a first come, first served basis. The shuttle will leave from the Commons at the listed dates and times.
Wednesday, May 8 at 8 am, 10 am, 12 noon, 2 pm, and 4 pm
Thursday, May 9 at 10 am, 12 noon, 2 pm, and 4 pm
Friday, May 10 at 10 am, 12 noon, 2 pm and 4 pm
Saturday, May 11 at8 am, 10 am, 12 noon, 2 pm and 4 pm
Sunday, May 12 at 8 am, 10 am and 12 noon *** LAST Shuttle