Featured in Exhibitions
More about Main Building
The Main Building houses the Office of Admission & Financial Aid, as well as the President's Office, the Office of Academic Affairs, the Foundation department and the Photography department, as well as studio space for painting and drawing classes.The building was constructed in 1907, thanks to funding from the State of Maryland and gifts from philanthropists Michael Jenkins and Andrew Carnegie, and has received the American Institute of Architects Gold Medal award. A national landmark, it was one of the first air-conditioned buildings, with a large fan blowing air over a huge block of ice in the basement, sending cooled air circulating through ducts. It is an example of Renaissance Revival style and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.