The Decker Library & Media Resources Collection holds a variety of materials documenting the history of the Maryland Institute College of Art back into the nineteenth century. Included are annual reports, catalogs, student rosters, financial ledgers, minutes, correspondence, photographs, scrapbooks, yearbooks, publications, ephemera, and audio-visual materials.
The archives can be consulted by appointment only, and are for in-house use. Please email email@example.com or phone (410) 225-2714 for more information or a specific inquiry. Please note that some materials may be restricted, as unpublished College records are not available for research outside of the College for 70 years from date of creation. Documentation is sporadic for many eras.
Collection Summaries, Finding Aids, Indexes
- MICA Records Collection Summary
- College catalogs
- Course materials
- Commencement programs
- Publications (newsletters, student or staff publications)
- People and events (vertical file material)
- General MICA publicity, including news clippings
- Photo albums
- Student personal materials
- Building records, including correspondence, specifications, blueprints for Main Building, Station Building, and Mt. Royal area
- Board of Managers Minutes
- Charters, Constitution, Bylaws
- Annual reports
- Reports, self-study
- Published materials: public relations, development, admissions, etc.
- Documents, including account books, diplomas, student rosters
- Ephemera, including event invitations and tickets, sheet music, postcards, etc.
- Decker Library: account books, Friends of the Library files
- Institutional history: subject and research process files for general MICA history and for Hoffberger, Rinehart, Mount Royal schools.
- Objects/Artifacts: Medallions, letterpress plates, small sculptures.
- Historical Photograph Collections
This index allows you search and browse among photographs held in MICA's Archives collections at the Decker Library and Media Resources Collection. Included are photoprints, negatives, contact sheets, 35mm slides & other transparencies, and digital images.
- MICA-related Vertical File Inventory
Materials related to MICA: people affiliated with MICA, local art institutions, etc.
- MICA Moving Image Archives
This collection, located in the Media Resources Collection, includes recent and historical footage of lectures, events and exhibitions at MICA. Many of these materials can be searched in the Decker Library and Media Resources Catalog: in the e-Library search area, choose Type = MICA Film Archives. Efforts are ongoing to fully catalog and provide access to the collection. Some of the duplicate DVD s and VHS tapes are available for circulation but most must be viewed in the MRC. Please contact the MRC at (410) 225-2274 or firstname.lastname@example.org for specific inquires or for more information about the collection.
- Morris Louis Study Collection
This collection documents the work of American painter and MICA alumnus Morris Louis (1912-1962, born Morris Louis Bernstein '32). It comprises publications that feature his work (including monographs, exhibit catalogs, survey texts, news items, magazine articles, advertisements), and audio/visual materials (slides, audio recordings and film materials). The bulk of the collection was presented to MICA by the Estate of Marcella Brenner.
Image at top right: 1912 Student Roster, detail.