Ken Barber—a 1994 graduate of Temple University's Tyler School of Art—is a letterer, type designer and type director at digital type foundry and design studio House Industries. He is particularly interested in the inter-disciplinary relationship between hand-lettering and typeface design. His work has been honored by Smithsonian Institution's Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum as part of the National Design Triennial and has been featured in numerous domestic and international publications. Ken also regularly lectures and conducts workshops at type and design conferences worldwide. Teaches Experimental Type in the Graphic Design Department.
- House Industries, Die Gestalten Verlag, 2004.
- Co-author and editor of a graphic design monograph.
- House Magazine, 1999-2002.
- Co-author and editor of a graphic design journal.
- Type Directors Club, International Exhibit.
- Alphabet, Exhibition of Hand-drawn Letteringand Experimental Typography.
Lectures & Workshops
- ATypI—Helsinki, Finland, 2005
- TypeCon—New York City, NY, 2005
- HOW Conference—Chicago, IL, 2005
- House Industries, Die Gerstalten Verlag, 2004
- Second edition published January, 2005
- Co-author and editor of a graphic design monograph
- Type-One, Die Gerstalten Verlag, 2005 (Contributing writer)
- Type Directors Club Annual, 2005
- Alphabet, Exhibition Catalog, Post Typography, 2005
- Create Magazine, "For the Love of Letters," 2005
- Print Magazine, "Photo Finish," Mar/Apr 2005
- Communication Arts, ATypI Review, Mar/Apr 2005
- Honest Magazine, Process Issue, 2005
- Communication Arts, "The Ed Benguiat Collection," Advertising Annual 45, Issue 333, Dec 2004
- Inside Design Now: National Design Triennial
- Princeton Architectural Press, 2003
Select International & Domestic Periodicals
- Eye (UK)
- Wallpaper* (UK)
- Page (Germany)
- Cap and Design (Sweden)
- Druk (Belgium)
- Idea (Japan)
- I.D., New York Magazine
- Communication Arts
Workshops & Seminars
- TypeCon— 2003, 2004
- ADC/TDC—NYC, 2004
- ATypI—Prague, Czech Republic, 2004
- LAUS Conference, Barçelona, Spain, 2004
- TypoBerlin—Germany, 2004, 2001 and 1999
- Typographic Circle—London, UK, 2002
- Authenticity and Design Conference—Cooper-Hewitt Museum, NYC, 2002
- HOW National Conference—Orlando, FL, 2002
- Society of News Design Annual Convention—Savannah, GA, 2002
- AIGA San Diego Y Conference, 2002
- AIGA National Conference—Las Vegas, NV, 1999
- Seminario Tipografía—Caracas, Venezuela, 1998
Awards & Recognition
- National Design Triennial, 2003.
- Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum.
- Award for Excellence in Type Design, Art Directors Club, New York City,. NY, 2005