Katherine Kavanaugh received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Minnesota in Duluth, traveled for nearly three years, built a house, got married and moved to Louisiana. While there she received a Master of Liberal Arts degree and mentored with the artist Clyde Connell. After moving to the Washington, DC area she completed a Master of Fine Arts degree from the University of Maryland College Park. Her own work has evolved from mixed media sculpture to primarily site-specific, indoor and outdoor installations which sometimes incorporate video projections. Recently she has collaborated with choreographers and dancers and designed performance spaces for community groups in Washington.
- Art Museum of the Americas, Organization of American States, Washington, DC.
- The Klotz Chateau, Rochefort-en-Terre, Brittany, France.
- The Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Sweet Briar, VA.
- Delaware Center for Contemporary Art, Wilmington.
- Hemicycle Gallery of the Corcoran Museum of Art, Washington, DC
- Westbeth Gallery, New York City
- Grounds for Sculpture, Hamilton, New Jersey
- Art Center of South Florida, Miami
- Maryland Art Place, Baltimore, Maryland
- School 33, Baltimore, Maryland
- Rosenberg Gallery, Baltimore, Maryland
- Goucher College, Baltimore, Maryland
- Art Papers
- The Washington Post
- The Miami Herald
Awards & Recognition
- Maryland State Arts Council, Individual Artist Award
- finalist Virginia Commission for the Arts Individual Artist Fellowship Award, Sculpture
- MICA faculty development grants
- Virginia Center for the Creative Arts
- Ragdale Foundation