Firmin DeBrabander studied Philosophy at Boston College and the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium, and received his Ph.D. in the field from Emory University in 2002. He has taught at MICA since 2005, and served as chair of the Humanistic Studies department from 2009 until 2012. His specialties include the History of Western Philosophy, Ethics, Political Theory, and Environmental Ethics. He also teaches courses on Media Ethics, Economic Theory, Eastern Philosophy, Philosophy of Science, and Medical Ethics. In 2007, he published a book entitled Spinoza and the Stoics (Continuum). He has published academic articles in journals such as History of Philosophy Quarterly, International Philosophy Quarterly, and in a volume issued by Cambridge University Press entitled Stoicism: Traditions and Transformations. More recently, he has written social and political editorials for the Baltimore Sun, Counterpunch and Common Dreams. He has organized several symposia in honor of Constitution Day at the college, including such speakers as John Waters, Helen Thomas, Angela Davis, Ralph Nader, Jesse Jackson, Amy Goodman, Andrew Sullivan, and Cornel West.
- "Campus Carry vs. Faculty Rights," Inside Higher Ed, March 19, 2015
- "Two Years After Sandy Hook, Schools Aren't Safer," Baltimore Sun, December 14, 2014
- "Drones and the Democracy Disconnect," NY Times, September 14, 2014
- "Locke and Load: The Fatal Error of the 'Stand Your Ground' Philosophy," NY Times, February 23, 2014
- "The Freedom of an Armed Society," NY Times, December 16, 2012
- "GOP: Party of Hard Work," Counterpunch, November 15, 2012
- "Deluded Individualism," NY Times, August 19, 2012
- "Our Perverse War on Drugs," Counterpunch, July 17, 2012.
- "Life Under Constant Watch," Common Dreams, April 30, 2012
- "Green Movement's Blues, " Baltimore Sun, Dec. 29, 2011
- "A Dubious Choice: Jobs vs. the Environment," Counterpunch, December 12, 2011
- "The Wrath of Ayn Rand," Common Dreams, November 11, 2011
- "Does Obama stand for anything?", Baltimore Sun, August 8, 2011
- "What if green products make us pollute more?" Baltimore Sun, June 2, 2011
- "Armed and Dangerous: America's gun enthusiasm does not lead to civility," Baltimore Sun, March 28, 2011