Johns Hopkins University, School of Education
Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies, Mind, Brain and Teaching
Bank Street College of Education
Masters of Science in Education, Leadership in Museum Education
Maryland Institute College of Art
Bachelor of Fine Arts, General Fine Arts/Art History
May 2003, Magna Cum Laude
Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, MD | Education Division | January 2003 to present
Manager of Family Programs | July 2008 to present
- Develop strategic programs and initiatives to build and sustain family learning within the museum.
- Serve as Educator for exhibitions, establish learning outcomes, develop didactics, and evaluate exhibitions.
- Facilitate community partnerships between community agencies, cultural institutions, and the museum.
- Create, implement, and evaluate interactive gallery activities and interpretive materials.
- Manage museum and community-based family festivals.
- Create, manage, and evaluate informal education technology initiatives for family audiences.
- Develop, teach, and assess studio and gallery lessons for early childhood - adult audiences.
- Train docents, volunteers, and manage interns.
- Consult other museum educators and program staff. Teach and train childcare providers and early childhood educators.
- Manage staff of 2 full-time coordinators and 20 part-time educators. Hire, assess, and train staff.
- Manage department budget, grants, publications, and marketing.
Senior Education Coordinator | Children and Family Programs | July 2004 to July 2008
- Created gallery activities and interpretive materials.
- Created, coordinated, implemented, and evaluated Preschool, Scout, and Homeschool workshops.
- Created new initiative for children's birthday parties. Coordinated, promoted, and implemented parties.
- Taught and trained childcare providers and early childhood educators.
- Taught studio and gallery lessons for early childhood - adult audiences.
- Supervised part-time Education Assistants. Managed staff training, scheduling, and evaluation.
- Prepared and organized department budgets and records.
Adult Programs Assistant | Adult Programs | May 2003 to July 2004
- Developed, implemented, and evaluated Adult Programs.
- Served as customer service representative for Adult Programs and museum.
- Prepared and organized departmental and division finances.
- Assisted Education departments with implementation of gallery activities, teaching studio and gallery lessons.
Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD | Public Programs Mentor | January 2006 to present
- Mentored student development exhibitions: Under Cover January-March 2012, MICA; Bradley McCallum and Jacqueline Tarry, May-July 2010, The Contemporary Museum; Follies, Predicaments, and Other Conundrums: The Works of Laure Drogoul, January 30-March 18, 2009, MICA; Beyond the Compass Beyond the Square, March-May, 2008, Mt.Vernon Park; At Freedom's Door: Challenging Slavery in Maryland, on view February 2007 - January 2008, Maryland Historical Society and the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History and Culture.
- Supervise and guide team of undergraduate students enrolled in Exhibition Development Seminar at MICA.
- Mentored students as they develop goals, objectives, public programs, budgets, outreach, and marketing efforts.
- Served on Search Committee for new faculty position in undergraduate seminar and MFA in Curatorial Practice.
professional presentations & publications
- "Emotionally Enhanced memory & Experiences with Art," The Warhol Museum, Arts & Sciences Gathering, May 2012.
- "Your Brain on Art: Emotion & Experience in the Museum," NAEA Annual Conference, March 2012.
- "Museums and Early Learners: Three Different Models," NAEA Annual Conference, March 2012.
- "Awe & Wonder in the Museum: Exhibitions, Programs and Voices," NAEA Annual Conference, March 2011.
- "Bang for Your Buck: Partnerships that Save Money and Are Easy to Replicate," ALA Annual Conference, June 2010.
- "SmartArt," Children's Services: Partnerships for Success. Edited by Betsy Diamont-Cohen. ALA Editions: 2010.
- "Public Partners for Early Learning and the Arts," NAEA Annual Conference, April 2010.
- "Artists in the Field: Artists as Professional Museum Educators," NAEA Annual Conference, April 2010.
- "Core Values: What Business am I in?" NAEA Annual Conference, April 2010.
- "Not to be Ignored: Learning Begins at Birth," Museum Education Preconference, NAEA Annual Conference, April 2010.
- "Extending the Experience: Play as a Tool for Engagement & Learning in Museums," Child's Play, Children's Pleasures:
Interdisciplinary Explorations Symposium, Hofstra University Cultural Center, March 2010.
- "Family Learning in Museums: Theory and Practice," Hood College, October 2009.
- "Museum Fun with Young Ones: Early Childhood Learning in Cultural Institutions," Educator Training, 2007-present.
- "Lead from Here: Considering Leadership at All Levels," NAEA Annual Conference, April 2009.
- "Choose Your Own Adventure: An Object-Based Learning Website for Families," NAEA Annual Conference, April 2009.
- "Extending the Experience: An Interpretive Material for Family Learning," Masters Thesis. Bank Street College of Education:
- "Beyond the Compass Beyond the Square Panel Discussion," Moderator, Maryland Institute College of Art, March 2008.
- "The Question of the Quilt: Interpretive Materials for Family Learning," NAEA Annual Conference, March 2008.
- "Children's Literature and Art: Partners for Learning in Museums," Maryland Library Association Conference, October 2007.
- "Start with Art!: Pre-K Partners in Art and Literacy," NAEA Annual Conference, March 2007.
- "Making Museum Interpretive Materials Useful for Classroom Teachers," NAEA Annual Conference, March 2007.
leadership and awards
Co-Chair, Countdown to Kindergarten, Baltimore City | 2010 to present
Member of Baltimore Leadership in Action Program and Family and Community Engagement Committee, CTK since 2004.
Maryland State Department of Education Fine Art Council | 2010 to present
Early Learning and the Arts Subcommittee.
Ultimate Block Party, Baltimore Steering Committee | 2011
Gold MUSE Media and Technology Award 2009
American Association of Museums. Category: Games. Waltee's Quest: The Case of the Lost Art.
MICA Alumni Committee, Maryland Institute College of Art | 2005 to present
skills and relevant experiences
- Leadership Capacity Building Workshops: Results Based Leadership, The Annie E. Casey Foundation, 2009-2010.
- Tapestries in the Baroque Scholars Day for Museum Educators: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2007.
- Teaching Institute in Museum Education: The Art Institute of Chicago, 2006.
- Visual Understanding in Education: Trained in Visual Thinking Strategies teaching techniques.
- Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center: "Learning Through Objects".
- Fine and applied arts skills, including: drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, sewing, and textiles.
- Proficient in both Mac and PC platforms.
- Adobe Creative Suite.
- Microsoft Office.
- National Art Education Association
- American Association of Museums
- Museum Education Roundtable