David Brody is an artist and writer living in Brooklyn, New York. He has shown wall drawings widely, including at The Drawing Center and The Brooklyn Museum, and his digital animations have been shown at the Reina Sofia Museum, MoMA, and the Centre Georges Pompidou. He has had recent solo shows of paintings at Pierogi Gallery in Brooklyn and at Sometimes (works of art), James Siena's project gallery on Canal Street, New York. His art criticism is regularly published on Artcritical.com and he has written for Cabinet and Bomb magazines. He recently published an interview with Phillip Taaffe for the catalogue of Taaffe's ten-year retrospective at the Irish Museum of Modern Art. Brody was born in New York City in 1958, attended Harvard University, Skowhegan, and CalArts. He has been awarded residencies at Hallwalls, The MacDowell Colony, Yaddo, PS122, and the Marie Walsh Sharpe Studio Program.
Planet of the Archbuilders, Pierogi, Brooklyn, NY.
Brooklyn, Iowa, Farnsworth Gallery, Simpson College, Indianola, IA.
Building-Block-Father-Spirit-Avenue-Dance, Ps122 Classroom, New York, NY.
Descent, Hallwalls Contemporary Art Center, Buffalo, NY.
Bill Maynes Gallery, New York, NY.
Revolution, Detroit, MI.
Pierogi 2000, Brooklyn, NY.
Selected Group Exhibitions
Dragon Veins, Contemporary Art Museum, U.S.F., Tampa, Curs. Elisabeth Condon and Mernet Larsen.
Tommorowland: Cal Arts in Moving Pictures, MoMA, New York, Cur, Josh Siegel.
The Means Justified, Central Connecticut State University, Cur. Mark Strathy.
Decipher: Hand Painted Digital, the Rotunda Gallery, Brooklyn, Cur. Yasufumi Nakamori.
Playpen; Summer Selections, The Drawing Center, NYC.
Open House; Working in Brooklyn, The Brooklyn Museum, Curs. Charlotta Kotik, Tumelo Mosaka.
Impact, P.P.O.W., NYC, Cur. Jason Murison.
Endless Love, D.C.Moore Gallery, NYC, Cur. Mark Greenwold.
Size Does Matter, Eyewash at Boreas, Brooklyn.
Artist-In-Residence Biennial Exhibition, Ewing Gallery, University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
System; Landscape, Caren Golden Fine Arts, NYC.
Hyper-Runt, in Liquid, Philadelphia, Cur. Ebon Fisher.
Paper Sculpture Show, the Sculpture Center and Various Locations, Curs. Mary Ceruti, Matt Freedman, Sina Najafi.
Online, Feigen Contemporary, NYC, Curs. Charlie Finch, Robert Storr, George Negroponte.
The Sessions of Sweet Silent Thought, Bronx River Art Center, NYC, Cur. Mercedes Vicente.
Ten Years 1993-2003, Art Projects International, at Im N Il Gallery, Brooklyn.
Young & Brash & Abstract, Anderson Gallery, Virginia Commonwealth U., Richmond, Cur. John Yau.
The Tipping Point, Locks Gallery, Philadelphia, Cur. David Cohen.
Touchy Feely, Eyewash, Brooklyn, Collaboration W/ Linda Nagaoka.
Back to the Future, Cynthia Broan Gallery, NYC, Cur. Michael St. John.
Artist to Artist, Ace Gallery, NYC, (Marie Walsh Sharpe Studio Retrospective).
Group Show, Pierogi, Brooklyn.
- Group Show, Gorney Bravin & Lee, NYC.
- Group Show, Flipside, Brooklyn.
- Group Show, Im in Il, Brooklyn, Cur. Matt Freedman.
- Wall Drawings, Plus Ultra, Brooklyn.
- 2-Person Show With Drew Lowenstein, Makor Center, NYC, Cur. David Cohen.
- Flashlight, Flipside, Brooklyn.
- The End, Exit Art, NYC.
- Outside, and Winter Paper, Catherine Moore Fine Arts, NYC.
- Checked, Moma Coatroom, NYC, Cur. Cindy Tower.
- Haulin' Ass, Post Gallery, Los Angeles, Cur. Joe Amrhein.
- Pierogi Flatfiles, Yerba Buena Center, San Francisco, Cur. Joe Amrhein.
- Group Show, Bennington College, Vermont, Cur. Mary Lum and Anne Pibal.
- Rage for Art, Pierogi 2000, Brooklyn.
- Hard Cell, Vilma Gold Gallery, London, Cur. Mary Jane Aladren/Nylon.
- Architecturally Abstract, Revolution New York, NYC.
- Conversation (With Ward Shelley), 4-Walls, Brooklyn Participant in Ward Shelley's 10 Day Performance/Action, Voyage Platform, Berlin.
- Wild, Exit Art, NYC.
- 5 from Williamsburg, Bklyn., Leo Kamen Gallery, Toronto, Cur. Susan Dionne.
- Hot, Revolution, Detroit.
- Southern Exposure, Ambrosino Gallery, Miami.
- Orange, Holland Tunnel, Brooklyn, Cur. Caren Hyde.
- Little, Jeffrey Coploff Fine Arts, NYC.
- Current Undercurrents, Brooklyn Museum, Cur. J. Amrhein & C. Kotik.
- Obsessions, Rotunda Gallery, Brooklyn.
- Relocating Landscape, Caldwell College, Caldwell, NJ, Cur. Kendall Bake.
- "...Just What Do You Think You're Doing, Dave?" Brooklyn, Cur. Bruce Pearson.
- Gallery Artists, Art Projects Int'l. Gallery, NYC.
B-51, One Main Street, Brooklyn, Cur. Dan Georges.
- 2-Person Show, Monochromatic Visions, Art Projects Int'l. Gallery, NYC.
- Small Works, Art Projects Int'l. Gallery, NYC.
- Pierogi 2000 at Ronald Feldman, Ronald Feldman Gallery, Nyc, Cur. Joe Amrhein.
- The Sum and the Parts, 450 Broadway Gallery, NYC, Cur. Ward Shelley.
- 2-Person Show, Marymount Manhattan College, NYC, Cur. Karen Harris.
- Dyad, Various Locations, Brooklyn, Cur. Annie Herron.
- Group Show, Mustard, Brooklyn, Cur. Fred Valentine & Jessica Nissen.
- Group Show, Brooklyn Union Gas Gallery, Brooklyn, Cur. Elizabeth Levine.
- Group Show, Carpenter Art Center, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- Organism, an Installation/Performance "Web-Jam" in Williamsburg, Bklyn., Member of Core Group.
- In the Penal Colony, Set/Installation/Performance, Open Window Theater, Brooklyn.
- Emerging Artists 1991, Bronx Museum of the Arts, Cur. Laura Hoptman.
Films & Videos
- "Proliferation" DVD loop, 3-D computer animation.
- "Disobey This Command" DVD loop, 3-D computer animation.
- "A Thousand Peaks and Myriad Revisions" 8 minute video, edited with J. Carleton Bright.
- "Painting Film" collaboration with Bill Morrison.
- "Beethoven Machinery" 3-D computer animation, 16-mm, 5 min. Awards: Houston Int'l Film Festival (Gold Prize); Sinking Creek.
- MFA, California Institute of the Arts--Film/Motion Graphics.
- Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture.
- BA, Harvard University.
Awards & Recognition
- Artist in Residence, Hallwalls, Buffalo, NY; Artist in Residence, PS 122 Gallery, NYC.
- Artist in Residence, University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- MacDowell fellowship.
- Yaddo Fellowship; BCAT/Rotunda Gallery Video Grant.
- Marie Walsh Sharpe Studio Grant.