What is CBL?
CBL is a collaborative partnership between MICA faculty and students, community organizations, and the Office of Community Engagement. Faculty and students lend their time and talents to implement a community-based project within an academic course. Community organizations create opportunities for students to engage with community members benefiting from the project. OCE provides tool and resources to support the project and collaboration. CBL provides the building blocks to help all parties work together to meet the needs of both MICA students and the broader community.
How does it work?
- A community organization or faculty member generates a project idea.
- A MICA faculty member provides vision and structure for the project.
- A community organization provides context for the project by creating opportunities for students to interact with their staff and the population served.
- Students apply their knowledge and skills as artist and designers to address community opportunities and needs.
- OCE provides modest funding for project supplies and faculty support. OCE also provides tools and assistance to help manage the partnership.
Do you have a project idea?
Faculty member interested in participating in CBL can fill out a project proposal form here.
Find more info about how OCE supports courses through the CBL program here.